General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

weird vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default weird vibration

I'm not really sure where to post this at and I'm sure it'll get moved so I apoligize in advance. But anyways, I've got this weird vibration when I'm driving on the highway right about 70mph. Only the funny part is that it only happens on decel. Not while I'm accelerating. And it only happens during like a 5 mph window- like 68 to 73 or so. I took it to about 80 and put it in neutral and let it coast back down without the drivetrain engaged and it was smooth, so that leads me to believe that it's in the drivetrain. Not sure what it could be. Any ideas. I was thinking driveshaft is out of balance maybe? Maybe the rear end? Can the motor or tranny make it do that? I took it to the dealership and they threw their hands in the air and said,"we have no clue." "we think it's your tires." which makes no sense given the symptoms. Anyways, do you guys have any ideas, It would help out alot. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tranny mount for the win!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

Tranny mount or torque arm mount. If your torque arm mount is damaged on the bottom side, when you decel it's going to push the front of the torque arm down excessively which could put your driveline out of line and cause a U-joint vibration.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya my car drives like **** for some odd reason. It follows EVERY lil crack or line in the road and feels like im on ice in the front...im thinkin bad tie rod ends
Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to say it's probably torque arm mount. I just replaced the tranny mount and motor mounts with the poly ones about six months ago.... the torque arm mounts are stock. and the car is a 98' thanks you guys. Im actually in the market for LCA's, Panhard and torque arm anyways. So hopefully that'll fix the problem. I have TSP true duals though are there any Torque arms that will clear the X-Pipe?