General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How do you fix a stripped spark plug socket on a 2000 silverado?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you fix a stripped spark plug socket on a 2000 silverado?

Ok ... I tried changing the plugs in my truck today, which is a 2000 silverado with the 5.3L . .... When the truck was new I fscrewed around with it and put those bosch +4 plugs in, but they were garbage, so I took them out after like 4000 miles and put the stockers back in, and they've been there even since ... I figured they have 120,000 on them now, so I figured today would be a good day to change them.

Anyways, all but one of the plugs came in and went out easily ... the farthest-rear passenger side plug was harder than hell to crank out ... then when I tried putting the new plug back in, it wouldn't ever snug up right ...

so I'm assuming somehow I stripped the damned thing years ago when I put the stock plug back in I must have cross-threaded it.

Question is, is there any way to fix this short of pulling the motor and running a heli-coil or re-tapping the thread? Do they have to pull the motor to fix this? I have the plug in there right now and it's tight enough I guess that at idle it still starts up just fine, but I'm worried that if I'm pulling a trailer or romp on it the pressure inside the cylinder is gonna blow it out or something ...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just throw in a stroked motor,easy fix...but seriously i heard thats BAD when you do that,i would guess you'll have to pull out the motor to fix that,hopefully others can chime in
Old 05-23-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just pull the head. It should not be that bad on a truck. U will need new head gaskets. Remimber the gm bolt are torque then angle. Gm head gaskets will work good for u
Old 05-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, thanks ... just what I needed to know.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea deff. sounds like your going to have to pull the head, getting a stuck plug out is alot easier then putting a plug into a stripped hole
Old 05-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

just had that problem on my truck i had the plug come out the of the head though. i've got it in the shop now getting fixed. lucky on mine they said they can do it without pullin the head cause it was a front one. but there still went 500$

Quick Reply: How do you fix a stripped spark plug socket on a 2000 silverado?