General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seafoamed the bird, with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seafoamed the bird, with a twist

I had planned to do a major maintenance session on the car this weekend. Starting on Thursday I added a full can of Seafoam to the gas tank, filled up, and added a half can to the crank case. I drove back and forth to work those two days and put on about 40 miles.
Saturday I planned to do oil, oil filter, recharge the Holley air filter, Seafoam into the brake booster, and NGK plugs.
Well I rolled out of bed and not thinking, started to drain the oil before Seafoaming the engine.

This is where I decided to really clean the engine by getting a cheap oil filter, the cheapest synthetic Mobile 1 oil, and a whole can of seafoam.
I put on a cheap value craft oil filter, added the cheaper mobile 1 and an entire can of Seafoam to the engine oil.
Next I went out and put about 30 miles on the car with some WOT sessions to really clean everything out.
This time I remembered to Seafoam half a can thru the brake booster hose, and had a friend turn the car off vs stall it out with the seafoam. I stalled it out the last time I seafoamed and it caused a slight backfire which scared the crap out of me lol.
The usual clouds of smoke for about 5 min followed, and I proceeded to change the oil. I was shocked to see that it was almost as black as the old oil I'd just drained! I guess the whole can of seafoam after two days with a half can really dislodged a ton of crap.
I finished up with a K&N oil filter, Mobile 1 extended performance oil, and changing to NGK TR55 spark plugs.
Once done I also noted another problem, what sounded like a vacuum leak.
Turned out the little connector that goes into the intake manifold off of the PCV valve had dry rotted and cracked open a hole. I taped it up with some electrical tape since it's a specially formed hose, and now it idles and runs a lot better.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

so out of curiosity, what was the mileage of your formula when you seafoamed?
Old 10-18-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm currently at 97k miles. This is the second time I've done it, the first was at 75k miles.