General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car wouldn't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wouldn't start

Ok so I get in my car today and turn the key to turn it on and nothing happens. I mean absolutly nothing no clicking no trying to turn over no nothing at all. So i look at the volt meter and its reading just under 12 where its alaways at, and I just bought that battery less than a year ago so I didn't figur that was it. So next im thinking my starter is completly shot. I pop the hood all wires look ok nothing stood out. Pulled the top off the fuse box and giggled with all the fuses. Then whala I got back in and turned the key and it started right up. I have turned it off and started it half a dozen times since then and it seems fine I just wana know if this is a sign of a problem in the making. Is there anyrthing I need to do or look into? Cus I don't want this to happen for real sometime when I realy need it to start.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe the wires running out of the fuse box are cut and grounding out, and when you wiggled the fuse box, it moved the wires around to where they werent shorting out. Try starting the car and letting it idle. Then go under the hood and move the fuse box around and see if it shuts off.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 AM
Teching In

does your car have the alarmsame thing happens to me happened 2 times so far had the car for 6 months by your left foot when your in the car is there tiny red button? f bodys wit alarms are messed upi heard i alwasy take off the battery when it happens and it starts right up again lose my preseht on the radio but that about it =D so i keep those 2 sockets in my car haha but i dont know the exact reason has to be a short. even some times my radio and window power goes in and out when i hit bumps its strange
Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its possible that the wires broke in the steering column for the VATS system(resistor in your ignition key). If you have a quality locksmith in your area they should have a piece of equipment that by-passes the vats system; then if the car starts you need a new cylinder with the wires attached. You can't repair the wires the cylinder needs replacing and they will give you two new ignition keys. This happened to my 99 SS with only 20k.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

My 2002 ss is doing the same thing. Its definetly going to be your VATS acting up. Mine acts up every once in a while. looks like I might take it to the dealer or maybe pull the steering wheel and do it my self. It looks like a bunch of work to do.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the sugestions. Yes I do have the factory alarm in there but my light is on my dash pad in the defroster vent not by my foot. Also I will look into the VATS thing.