General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Squeak

I have a 98 Z28 with 114k on it. I don't know the last time the belt was changed cause I just got the car. But lately I have been hearing a squeak from which sounds like the belt. I was wondering how hard it is to change the belt?
Thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very simple actually. Both belts go around a tensioner. Get a socket wrench on the tensioner pulley nut, turn it, and the belts will literally fall off.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More likely on an LS1 that it's your tensioner or idler pulley squeaking. You can take some plastic tubing to use as a stethescope to find where the squeak is coming from. Be careful of moving parts.

They can be removed and lubed even though they are sealed. Take a small screwdriver and move out the seal. Introduce grease into the bearing. Replace the seal. Keep watch over them to ensure you catch any failures that may occur.

Or, remove and replace. This is what I did. I saw after they were removed and I took a good look at them that they can be lubed. Live and learn...

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed. More often than not the squeaking is a tensioner or idler pulley. I went through 3 belts trying to fix mine before I finally changed the idler pulley.

Also, if you're changing your belt, get one of those Gatorback belts that Goodyear makes. They are pretty awesome.