General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Small leak from rear of tranny ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Small leak from rear of tranny ....

I got under my car the other day to change the oil and noticed that there was a little tranny fluid that had blown back and was on my torque arm and other things from driving and that if my car sits more than 2 days , there will be one drop on the ground.....Rear input shaft seal where the DS goes into the tranny is dry as a bone so i know its not that....Cleaned everything up with simple green and got up under there this morning and it is a little wet on the bottom rear part of the tranny right below the drain plug where there is 2 black bolts, looks like it is slowly seaping where the seam is, but it is only on the bottom because i ran my hand up the seam and it is bone dry also....What can i do, tranny just came out about 4 months ago to get rebuilt, anything i can do to reseal it without pulling the tranny all the way out ? Please help guys
Old 04-18-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

anyone ??
Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Mine was coming from "no where" and actually turned out it was the rear seal. But not sure about your case.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

if your going to change the seal please do yourself a favor and buy a GM seal my local dealership got one for me for like 10 bucks i think and it was twice as good as the one from Autozone (timkin) or Orielly's (national) i also didn't think the seal was hard to replace