General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil pressure problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure problem!

Well yesterday while leaving work i noticed my oil pressure was running unusually low, at about 20 while idle and it never hits 40 even at 4,000 rpms. So today my low oil light came on so i put 3 1/2 quarts of oil in and still no fix other than the light goin off. is my Oil pump shot or going bad? Help please....
Old 04-25-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the 20 psi pressure when you first started up or after driven a while?

The oil pressure generated from the oil pump is regulated by a bypass valve which prevents from going higher than the mark. Maybe your bypass valve is malfunctioning. Unless you're leaking a large amount of oil, the problem must be between either the oil pump or the accessories that work in conjunction with it. If this is the case, then it would be best for you to minimize driving the vehicle to avoid a possible failure on the road. It could just be the pressure sending unit failing, but it's a chance you'd be taking. With high temperature and momentum, aluminum will seize quickly.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Teching In

its staying at 24 till im driving for a bit then it goes closer to 34 at times . but i haven't seen it hit 40 yet. when im not constantly on the gas it drops back down to 24. Seems to be driving fine on a brighter note

Last edited by Spoonylove; 04-25-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

24 is acceptable for hot idle, but a failure to reach a higher pressure level upon higher RPM during acceleration is to be avoided because the load that puts the bearing tolerances closer requires the proper corresponding pressure to keep the surfaces from touching. If you can reach 34, I would recommend that you try to shift earlier while also going easier on the throttle and avoid going above 1900 RPM. Of course, this means that you have to make sure you take a road that has little to no hills.

It may be safe to go above 1900 RPM with only 34 psi, but I'm wary against it only because of the significantly higher pressures that many others here report at the same RPM range.

When you can, the first thing you should to is have the oil pressure checked by independent equipment. This is basically to verify the accuracy of your pressure gauge, and track the source of the problem from there on.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

"so i put 3 1/2 quarts of oil in" Seriously? You were THAT low?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonylove
Well yesterday while leaving work i noticed my oil pressure was running unusually low, at about 20 while idle and it never hits 40 even at 4,000 rpms. So today my low oil light came on so i put 3 1/2 quarts of oil in and still no fix other than the light goin off. is my Oil pump shot or going bad? Help please....
24 is actually perfectly fine for a warmed up car at idle, be happy, most others don't get that much.

You won't see 40psi until you do an oil change. Oil gets old and breaks down too, put that together with "hot oil" and it gets thin...that drops pressure.

3 1/2 quarts low.......why would you let your oil get so low? Your oil pick-up tube was very close to sucking air while driving....thats an engine killer.

Do a complete oil change, I bet you'll be back at 40psi.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Teching In

i checked my oil not but 2 weeks ago and it was running fine, guess ill change it tomorrow and see what happens,thanks