General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No start and over heat????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start and over heat????

My 1998 Z28 A4 is all stock except a Borla catback. For the past few months when I moved the car each and everytime I had to hook up my battery charger box and it would start. I bought a brand new battery, installed it, and still no start. The car would crank but not start. Then everynow and then it would start, Now if I put my charger on it even just for a second it starts right up. I took the ground off the rt inner wheelhouse and cleaned it good but still nothing. Now...today I got the car started again with the charger box and took the camaro to our local emission inspection center to get emission test so I can renew the plates. While sitting through the test I noticed the engine gauge was climbing higher and higher and while pulling out of the building the car shut off. The temp gauge was almost in the red so I popped the hood and let it cool for a bit. The car started right up but was still pretty hot, it didn't seem as though the fans were running at all. I turned on the A/C thinking the fans should turn on with the AC being on but no they didn't turn on....Does anyone think the no start has anything to do with the overheat? I did have a SERVICE ENGINE SOON light that came on once not too long ago while I was moving the car to wash it but when I started the car back up after the wash it was off???? Any ideas? Ihave to try to drive it home later tonight when its colder out because I can't afford to have it checked out right now.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The only time an overheat would effect the start....is when you are very hot and try to start it. Sometimes a hot engine is harder to start.

But a cold start.......has nothing to do with an overheat situation.

If your fans were not "on" when your temp was closing in on the red zone, then something is wrong with your fans. Check fuses under the hood.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The start issue is weird...The battery is BRAND NEW and is the largest CCA that INTERSTAE has that'll fit in my camaro.I know the battery is good because when I swap it into my SS and car fires right up, no issues at all. When I re-install it into my Z28 it just crank and cranks and I have to hook up my battery charger or jumper cables for a split second and it'll fire right up; almost like it needs just a bit more juice! I don't have to leave the charger or jumper cables hooked up at all like to actually charge the battery, I just need them for the added boost the start the car. Now once the car is started I can shut it off and immediately restart it just fine.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99monguse
The start issue is weird...The battery is BRAND NEW and is the largest CCA that INTERSTAE has that'll fit in my camaro.I know the battery is good because when I swap it into my SS and car fires right up, no issues at all. When I re-install it into my Z28 it just crank and cranks and I have to hook up my battery charger or jumper cables for a split second and it'll fire right up; almost like it needs just a bit more juice! I don't have to leave the charger or jumper cables hooked up at all like to actually charge the battery, I just need them for the added boost the start the car. Now once the car is started I can shut it off and immediately restart it just fine.
Corrosion somewhere on the cables. Maybe a bad starter. Or it could be PCM related.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car started last night on the very first try and I let it run until it got up to temp and both fans kicked on like they should, so I don't know what the problem is. The SES light was still on from before but when I cycled the ignition to see if it would re-start the light went out. I will take the car to Autozone and have it scanned...the code should be in memory right?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah get it read, most DTC's stay in history for 40 ignition cycles.