General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car's possessed

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car's possessed

So I came back from school to pick my car up to bring it back for the last week. I get back, go to turn the car on...low and behold battery dies. No big deal I guess. I go blow 85 bucks on a battery and I'm on my way. Later that night when I'm driving home, my temperature gauge starts randomly increasing. fluctuating from 210 to 260 in the red. It would slowly go up, then back down then stay in the red section. Then after I said screw it and kept driving, my radio starts changing stations out of no where. That really threw me off. I'm guessing its the new battery or the thermostat but I'm at a loss here. Any input on this guys?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

ttt....
Old 05-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sscamaro22
So I came back from school to pick my car up to bring it back for the last week. I get back, go to turn the car on...low and behold battery dies. No big deal I guess. I go blow 85 bucks on a battery and I'm on my way. Later that night when I'm driving home, my temperature gauge starts randomly increasing. fluctuating from 210 to 260 in the red. It would slowly go up, then back down then stay in the red section. Then after I said screw it and kept driving, my radio starts changing stations out of no where. That really threw me off. I'm guessing its the new battery or the thermostat but I'm at a loss here. Any input on this guys?
First thing, you need to pull over if the temp guage ever gets near the red.

If you did pull over you could have popped the hood to see if the engine/engine bay was actually getting hot. If things like the lid or strut tower or even the intake were just warm to the touch and you could keep your hand on them without getting burned....your temp sensor could be the problem. And yes, a bad temp sensor can make the engine do some weird ****. I think...not positive...that some cars won't even run without the temp sensor or if its failed.

If your t-stat failed (stuck closed) the engine temps would not stop going up until the engine seized. A bad temp sensor makes the temp needle jump around with big movements over a short time.

Check the sensor.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

It's getting ready to transform...lol jk
But seriously, when you see the temp gauge go to near red, pull over and turn it off.
I would start with the T-stat, as it's not that hard to replace and it's cheap.
and the radio issue - it could be a bad connection, maybe one of the battery cables is loose.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Teching In

body ground.

Especially since you just had the battery replace. Whenever wierd **** starts happening on a car like this that doesn't have crazy electronics on it, that'd be a main culprit

Check the main body ground under your hood, particularly the battery cables, make sure they're tight.
Particularly the negative cable from the battery to the body.
Tightend would be hantight to where you feel it start to stop, then slightly past that, you should be putting some force on it, but not really putting effort into it, maybe a 1/4 turn of the ratchet.
Be careful on the battery cables expesically, they strip out real easily w/ sidepost batteries.

PM me if i can be of anymore help.

I had a 99 Saturn SC2 that had all types of interior lights flickers/dimming, and dimming under braking, i checked one of the main body grounds to the body in the engine bay from the interior, it seemed tight, but was really dusty. Loosened it and cleaned it anyway, retightened it, problem solved.