General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radiator cap squirting out water

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator cap squirting out water

Zup Fellas! This weekend I just put in a new radiator, some new hoses, and a new radiator cap. But my Temp gauge is at 240 and overheating. The radiator cap is squirting out the water in the radiator. Do you guys know what could be causing this? Maybe I need a new Thermiostat or maybe there's air trapped in the radiator? Any Ideas! Thanx in Advance....
Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like the thermostat. Also check to make sure that the coolant line going to the overflow tank is not mixed up with the line that goes to the engine under the throttle body (sounds dumb, but it can happen). My car blew coolant all over the place, I replaced the thermo and the rad cap and no more spewing. Unfortunately my radiator is now toast. Just chuck a thermo in it and see what happens.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by armkneez8
Zup Fellas! This weekend I just put in a new radiator, some new hoses, and a new radiator cap. But my Temp gauge is at 240 and overheating. The radiator cap is squirting out the water in the radiator. Do you guys know what could be causing this? Maybe I need a new Thermiostat or maybe there's air trapped in the radiator? Any Ideas! Thanx in Advance....
You may just need a new cap.

Take the t-stat out and test it before you buy a new one, it only takes 10 minutes to test it. Pot of boiling water with a thermometer.

If its working, you probably have an air bubble in there. Its easy to get rid of it.

Try this before you take the t-stat out though.

Start the engine COLD, with the radiator cap off. Stand there and wait till the t-stat opens and starts to flow. Keep going and checking your temp guage though to make sure its not overheating. If it gets up to about the 210 mark and it has not opened yet, grab the lower radiator hose and squeeze it about 5-10 times rapidly and full squeezes. Coolant will shoot out of the radiator fill cap, so watch out. Then do the same thing with the upper radiator hose, and again watch out for coolant shooting out of the radiator fill cap. Then top it off with coolant. That should open the t-stat, and it should start to flow. It works for me every time.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

What do you mean take the t-stat out? Sorry i'm lost because I never messed with it.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by armkneez8
What do you mean take the t-stat out? Sorry i'm lost because I never messed with it.
Remove the two bolts that hold the housing on, then take the t-stat out. It has to be pushed in an turned to get it out of the housing.

But make sure you do run the engine with the cap off to see if it flows when the temp hits about 210-220 on the guage. If it flows then you probaboly just need a new cap.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK! i'LL TRY IT

Quick Reply: Radiator cap squirting out water