Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9
Default Car starts but dies shortly after... Help please

Got in my car this morning and started it. Idles for about 5 seconds then dies. Dies even quicker after I give it some gas. I dont beat on it at all and I take care of it really well with changing fluids. Could this be the TPS sensor? Any help is greatly appreciated!

'99 Z28 - 6.0 LQ9, MS3 cam, True duals w/flowmaster single chambers, A4 - T56 swap, MGW short throw, the usual bolt-ons, blah blah blah...
412/392 - Complete Street Performance tuned
Sold, unfortunately...
99Zeeeeeeeeee28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Teching In
2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Happytokr

It could be a V.A.T.S issue. I had the same problem with my car. Look up VATS Bypass and it will tell you what to do.
Happytokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Would it be the VATS issue if it starts up but dies a little after? It just sounds like the car isn't getting fuel or something. Best way to describe it as a lopey cam but then dies. I've never had any problems with the security light coming on or anything in that matter and I drove it the night before and nothing unusual happened. If it's not the VATS, could it be something like bad fuel? I did just put in some Isoheet but still didnt work. 2 codes came up when it was scanned - Mass airflow and Throttle position sensor BUT could these have come on because earlier in the day before it was scanned, my friend disconnected those two wires as well as the IAC? They were reconnected before I scanned it though...

'99 Z28 - 6.0 LQ9, MS3 cam, True duals w/flowmaster single chambers, A4 - T56 swap, MGW short throw, the usual bolt-ons, blah blah blah...
Sold, unfortunately...
Old 05-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Anyone else? I am about to go out and buy the TPS, MAF and IAC sensors as well as the resistor so hopefully one of those will work...

Sold, unfortunately...
Old 05-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Well problem is fixed. It turned out to be the throttle position sensor. I put a new one in, started it up and it still died but took longer. Tried it a few more times with it lasting longer each try until finally it started up and stayed running. I'm very relieved to know it wasn't something like the fuel pump or anything expensive like that...

Sold, unfortunately...
Old 05-23-2009, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
after, car, die, died, dies, gas, give, problem, rattles, runs, shortly, start, starts, trans, wrong