General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trans Am Head lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Trans Am Head lights

I have a lady friend with a 99 trans am and she told me that her head lights make a clicking sound when they open and close. A shop told her that she would need to spend $800 to fix the problem. Sounds like they are trying to rip her off to me. Does anyone know what the problem is and what it will take to fix it. She went to another shop and they "disabled" her lights meaning that they are in the up posistion all the time and they charged her $75 to do that. Sounds like those guys ripped her off.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a '97 formula so I did some homework on this a while back. The motors in the headlights use plastic gears. It sounds like they are about to go out. There are websites and write ups on how you can do some cost efficient fixes. I've read that the gears only use 1/2 of the teeth so you can rotate the gears 180 deg and get some extra life out of them, you can also buy brass gear sets that are much more durable.

As far as your friend getting ripped off... $75 is a typical charge for a diagnostic visit. It pays for 1 hour with the tech and overhead. That's why I love that AutoZone reads DTC codes for free. $800 to replace the headlight motors? That's what sucks for people who can't do their own work. Just a 2 sec goggle search turned up this: Brass Gears. I don't know this guy from Adam so this is not an endorsement. He sells the gear sets for $94 shipped for both sides. The whole motor will cost nearly $200 from GM so the shop is probably doing this math: ($200x1.5 mark-up) + $100 labor = $400 x2 (2 headlights) = $800 total.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/
Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced both my gears with metal geats($75). Over time the housing/worm gear gets out of alignment with the brass/plastic gear. So... it wore through both metal gears b/c just a little was in contact b/c the alignment was off. Then I replaced both motor units for $90 a pc.(Autozone[lifetime warranty])), with I would have done that initially.

With that said, the connectors on the new ones are junk. The plug connector going to the car wiring harness corroded on one and I had to splice two of the wires that corroded all the way. Also the plugs going to the headlights melted and shorted out so I had to get female connectors to attach to the wires and then slide over the prongs on the headlights.

I didn't have the time to take them out and get new ones(with the warranty) so I just hardwired/replaced what I could.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the link ... I should be able to fix it for her now .... I am a Camaro guy and have never had to deal with the up and down head lights that the firebird nation has ....
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Read my sticky