General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Service engine soon light and trouble codes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service engine soon light and trouble codes...

My service engine soon light came on the other day and i hooked it up and it was coming up with the codes 171 and 174. I was told that is probably a vacum leake somewhere. I was wondering if this was correct and if there were any vacum lines known on the 98-02 camaros that go out first. Any comments and opinions would be appriciated. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2009, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes those are both Bank 1 and 2 lean conditions. You have a vacumn leak. Check on the left side of the intake where the PCV hose connects to the intake. There is a rubber plug that goes onto the intake and on the bottom side it tends to tear with some age and open up a hole. You won't be able to tell unless you put your finger on the underside of it and feel for the hole while its running. This is the exact issue I had about a year ago. Replace that piece with some rubber vacuum line with a couple clamps.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

OMMFG, I have the same code, I cant figgure it out, does the car hard to start some time ? if so that is exactly my car does, can you tell me what vacum line to check on the lt1 ? thanks
Old 06-06-2009, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by killagt
OMMFG, I have the same code, I cant figgure it out, does the car hard to start some time ? if so that is exactly my car does, can you tell me what vacum line to check on the lt1 ? thanks
I am not sure on an LT1. Just basically look at all the vacuum lines, a good way to tell is to take some carb cleaner and spray your vacuum lines, if when you spray a certain area the rpms speed up a little bit then thats your leak.