General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car cranks but wont fire

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cranks but wont fire

Hey guys, my 99 heads/cam/boltons Camaro is having random starting issues. Occasionally it will crank and crank but wont start. Other times it will fire right up like normal and run fine.

One time when it was acting up, I pulled a plug, stuck it against the head, tried to start and got no spark. I checked the grounds on the back of the heads and they seemed tight. Connections and wires looked good too, so I had it towed to a shop. They tell me there was an old code for a crank position sensor, so I get a new one and replace it myself (after it started right up and I drove it home). Seemed good for a few days, but its giving me more of the same **** now. I stopped driving it so I don't get stranded.

No way its the battery or starter since it ALWAYS cranks great, right? A VATS problem won't even let it turn over, so it can't be that right? Also, when it does start, it always runs just fine (for a big cammed engine). I have no clue. Thanks for the help.

One more thing, it first gave me problems after my friend put it in 6th instead of reverse while trying to back down a steep hill and spun the motor backwards, not sure if that had anything to do with it... No it didn't break the tranny either