General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine damage without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine damage without tune?

Hey I was just wondering who here would know any of this. Last summer and friend of mine and I put some pacesetter long tubes and an ory on my car. We put in o2 simulators but noticed the ses light still came on. At the time we didn't realize it but when my buddy went to extentd the front sensors he cut the wire wrong which I guess put the car into open loop? My gas mileage has gone down as I haven't had time to drive the 3 hours and spend the cash on tuning it.

I've put on around 1500km's since doing the install and when I went to setup the appointment to do this and have the gears installed, he told me I had likely damaged the seals on my motor explaining that the exhaust change would cause the computer to run at a maximum 15% increase of something? and will dry out some seals and make my oil black fast.

The only difference I've noticed is bad mileage. I've read and read like crazy on here before about doing headers etc and never thought something would like that would wreck the car.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Teching In

he's blowing smoke up your *** go somewhere else
Old 07-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don;'t know what the hell he's talking about with seals going bad and 15% ****....but

If you're getting shitty gas mileage just from adding LT's and ory....you're probably running rich. Running rich = worse gas mileage.

Get a tune.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah totally agree, it's running rich and I knew that since I put them on, only reason I haven't gotten a tune was because they charge like $125 a run on the dyno and they do like 4 runs at least, plus that same rate per hour after that. And, I've been waiting to put some 4.10's in and to get the exhaust and that tuned all at once to save some coin.

The two shops are in a city about 2 hours from me and I just wanted some cash before I go in the city for a couple days to get it done. The shop I had called before hand told me there wouldn't be any damage, maybe the guy just wants me to hand him 4 grand to rebuild it.

Either way I thought I'd ask around on here before I started to worry about it. I also told him about all the guys I've talked to and read about in regards to exhaust on here and he told me most guys just risk their motor and don't care etc etc.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KylerCavers
Yeah totally agree, it's running rich and I knew that since I put them on, only reason I haven't gotten a tune was because they charge like $125 a run on the dyno and they do like 4 runs at least, plus that same rate per hour after that. And, I've been waiting to put some 4.10's in and to get the exhaust and that tuned all at once to save some coin.

The two shops are in a city about 2 hours from me and I just wanted some cash before I go in the city for a couple days to get it done. The shop I had called before hand told me there wouldn't be any damage, maybe the guy just wants me to hand him 4 grand to rebuild it.

Either way I thought I'd ask around on here before I started to worry about it. I also told him about all the guys I've talked to and read about in regards to exhaust on here and he told me most guys just risk their motor and don't care etc etc.
Where do you live?

If it was a new engine and it was running real rich, you would totally ruin it within 2 weeks time by "gas washing" your cylinders. I know someone who had a brand new 427ci built by Lingenfelter and the tuner did a shitty job. It was pig rich and after just 2-3 weeks of brweaking it in, it was dranking like 1 quart every 200 miles after just 2-3 weeks time. It had to be rebuilt.

You should be ok till you can get a tune because your engine has been broken in for a long time, but its not the greatest thing to run rich either.

Get the tune now, 4.10's won't require a new tune later on.