General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Electrical Problem....or so I think? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Electrical Problem....or so I think? Help!

Ok first of all this is a non LSx related problem but I figured with the wealth of automotive knowledge in this forum somebody can help. I do have a 02 SS which is currently down and in the shop right now for H/C/I so I am hoping my issue is nothing major on my daily driver.

I have a 2002 Grand Prix GT 3800V6. I replaced a dead battery in it about 2 weeks ago it was really hot around here and finally did the old battery in. I put a new one in from Wal-Mart and was on my way. Yesterday I got back in the car and the car started up fine, although it was a bit of a hard start, and at that time I noticed that the clock had reset much as if I had unhooked the battery or had a dead battery. Fast forward to this morning I was getting ready to head for work and my keyless entry wouldn't work because my battery was zonked I thought. I use the key to unlock the car put the key in the ignition and crank it for the first time and nothing...just like a dead battery.....then I shut the key off and crank it again and it pops right off. I got a 8mm wrench and snugged up the cables as I thought one might be loose but really didnt feel that way......the car is also starting kind of hard which may not be a related problem. Any ideas on this past maybe a loose cable? I mean there was 0 battery power on that first crank?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it possibly be the solenoid for your starter? My brothers truck does that every so often, where the first time you try and start it the starter just clicks but when you turn the key off and try again it starts right up like nothing was wrong.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your grounds coming off the battery. One should be going to the block, and one to the shock tower. Pull them both off and inspect the wires to make sure you have no corrosion causing a bad connection. I would get a scotch brite pad and clean off both grounds to be positive your grounded. Also check to make sure your starter is getting a good connection, same as above. There may be some oil, or grease or something like that causing a weak connection at the starter.

Are your bolts that go into the battery in good condition, or are they stripped out? It's something to do with the battery, as you said your clock was reset. So check everything directly connected with the battery.