General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Parking brake handle rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake handle rattle?

I noticed a rattle that had been driving me nuts inside my car. I'm checking EVERYTHING out while it's idling but I couldn't find it. My car has 137k miles on it, and it started about 500 miles ago. After much frustration, I found out it's the parking brake handle/mechanism.

Anyone ever have this before? Any solutions? For the time being, I can move it up a couple clicks and it'll be quiet. My parking brake shoes are worn, so I don't get engagement till about 80 degrees up anyways. I was going to tighten it one day since I thought it was a screw in the hole on the LH side of the handle, but it's a freakin rivet!

Anyone had this and fixed it? I don't like leaving the handle up a little, it's hokey. I'll pound in a wedge if I have to, but I'd like to know if anyone has taken it apart and fixed it properly before. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Try search. Lots of threads on this.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just did a search for a fix on this, came up with only brake adjustment, nothing really about the handle/rivet/tightening. Can somebody point me in the direction of a writeup or possibly let me know what is making the noise. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most guys drill the rivet and put a screw in.. Mine makes the noise once every blue moon, so thats when I open the cutout and roll down the windows.. lol..