General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter help! Just clicks.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter help! Just clicks.

Hello,
Well I installed my new lq4 with a rebuilt starter in my 00 SS and it cranked fine the first three times I hit the key. Now it just sits and clicks at me. I know its not the battery as its holding at 11.4V and has a charger on it. The starter is a fresh rebuild. I switched the relays around and the problem was still there. I even ran a 4 gauge + and - wire directly too the starter and it just clicks faster now. The voltage is fine at the starter signal wire even shows 10 volts when the key is on.
I am at my witts end with this thing so any help would be great. Before I just set the thing on fire and walk away from it.
Thanks
Chris
Old 09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You only have 11.4V at your battery?? There is your problem.

A fully charged battery has 12.6V, anything below 12V is basically dead.

Fully charge the battery to 12.6V, if it won't take a charge then it will need to be replaced.

You should also have approximately 12.6V at your S terminal, not 10V, and it should only show that voltage when the key is in the "Start" position. There should be zero volts on "S" terminal in the "Run" position.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were right sir. It was the battery. It still cranks a little slow but it did, and I got to hear it run for the first time.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SchuttsR1
You were right sir. It was the battery. It still cranks a little slow but it did, and I got to hear it run for the first time.
Excellent. Glad to hear you got it running.