General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

driver side window goes up, goes down, sometimes doesn't do anything.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default driver side window goes up, goes down, sometimes doesn't do anything.

My driver side window will go up and down fine sometimes and then sometims it will just stop in its tracks and not go anywhere. new motor so its not that. When i look under the switch theres a small black wire thats not connected to anything. the thing is though that the window will work sometimes even without that there. this is really annoying since rite now it is parked in my school parking lot with the window half down.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your new motor is probably not "new." This happens often on re-man motors. What kind did you get?

From other posts and my last experience where this happened, it sounds like some re-man motors are being rebuilt with the old thermal cutoff switch. (This switch is what causes the behavior you are describing.)

As a temporary work-around you may be able to open the door while you are putting the window up and then tug up on the glass as it moves. This may give it enough "help" to keep the thermal switch from cutting things off. However; the window will die completely on you soon, so you should get it replaced.

I believe the new Doorman design are 100% new motors. You may want to check one of them out. (The case will look different than the old Siemens design.)
Old 09-03-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i tseems thats the problem, since its completely dead. I tried the tug last night before i posted up and couldn't even get that up like that. Where would i find the new design?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get a remanufactured one too.. just make sure whatever one you get, has a lifetime replacement warranty.

i prefer to deal with a part store, that way, WHEN the next one fails, you don't have to worry about it coming in the mail.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by xRelapse13
yeah i tseems thats the problem, since its completely dead. I tried the tug last night before i posted up and couldn't even get that up like that. Where would i find the new design?
I know AutoZone has them. I also understand that other parts stores have them as the "Doorman" model. Just take a look and it will be obvious that the motor is a different design.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

thanks guys, my only other problem is how do i go about replacing the motor with the window half way down? every other time i've done it, i had the window up all the way.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Keep trying it when its cold and apply the tug. Eventually, it should go back up for you. The warmer it gets and the more weight on the motor, the less likely it will be to cooperate.