General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolent Leak!! brownish radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Coolent Leak!! brownish radiator

So i go to run my car and since i just installed a new audio system in it i let it run for about 15-20 minutes while i tuned my amps and all. Well i finally finish and i decide to go for a drive and what do you know. My hood starts shooting out smoke from the right side and i start to smell coolent.

Well i pull over all pissed since i just bought the car not 2 weeks ago. So i go over and i see the coolent cap on the right is shooting out water to the sides ever half second and i hear a boiling sound coming from it. I place my hand over the radiator cap and i can hear/feel it boiling as well but its mainly coming from the coolent cap. At the same time water is leaking from the bottom right side of the car,. I look at all the hose leads coming from the water pump and the ones attached to to the radiator and there are no leaks on them. Smoke seems to be coming from under my battery but i did not have the chance to check it.

So i open the coolent cap and the water is gone.So i refill it with a liter and i looks like it aint going down, it just overflows after a liter. So i wait a while and then open the radiator cap. I coulden't wait so i did it a bit early but its all cool i ran right after i opened it . So water shoots up and the water in the coolent refill tube shoots down and well water shoots out of the radiator.Oh and my coolent light has been on but i know there has allways been more then enough water in my car. oil was dark Brown, almost black.

What the hell is wrong wit my car, im thinking i need a new thrmostat and a radiator flush becasue i looked in my coolent refill tube and radiator and they looked brownish/redish. like a clay type of deal, So i think thats what is it. Thanks for the response in advance.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

If your oil is milky then it's a blown headgasket. Is there white smoke coming from the tailpipe?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:35 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, the brownish color is normal for a car especially if it's been running Death-Cool type coolant; that stuff is brown, stinks and would lead alot of people to think there's something wrong. It's a used car, so it couldn't hurt to change out the t-stat and flush the whole system, and then refill it with normal green coolant. Before you do that however, check all of your hoses and fittings and make sure everything's secure...
Old 09-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a new radiator cap before doing anything else.

But, man, if you just bought it, the last owner MIGHT have been a scumbag and sold it with blown head gaskets. Never know. Or he may have gotten rid of it thinking it was a blown head gasket, and not tried a new radiator cap. Making him dumb.

One way to see if its a blown head gasket.
Take radiator cap off.
Top it off.
Start it up cold and stand there and watch it at the radiator fill neck.
See if air bubbles start coming up and continue coming. (after the t-stat opens and starts to flow)

Also, make sure it does start to flow in about 10-15 minutes, because if it doesn't you have a stuck t-stat). >>>>>But that shouldn't cause your coolant to boil over with the proper mix of anti-freeze and water, it will just cause you to get VERY hot and the temp gauge will go into the red. Easily 260*F before it boils over.

Last edited by LS6427; 09-27-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
If your oil is milky then it's a blown headgasket. Is there white smoke coming from the tailpipe?
Not necessarily, could just have air getting pushed into the coolant system.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Replace all coolant and flush it properly, getting all the air out of the system.