General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Considering changing brand/weight of oil. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering changing brand/weight of oil. Need advice

My car is just reaching 75k miles and has recently been retired to garage queen. Last year I drove the car a maximum of 4k miles and it frequently sits for weeks at a time. I have owned it for the last 5 years and have always used Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic. However, I am becoming more conscious of the car's maintenance and have considered switching oils.

I really don't have much of a reason for using this specific oil other than that's what I was suggested and I have had no problems with it. I have no oil consumption problems and also no signs of oil under the intake when I pulled it a couple months ago. I would consider the valvetrain noise on a cold startup to be average. I live in Texas where I hardly see low temps. Stock cubes stock internals with bolt-ons and nitrous.

I know a lot of people will say I shouldn't switch since I have no problems, but I would like to see what the experts have to say about a car with these circumstances. I have been doing a bit of reading and have been considering 5w30 and have also been doing some review's on GC 0w30. Any advice out there?

I'll also add that I did do some reading on here before creating this thread. I just couldn't find anything regarding to switching oil on a car that sits quite often.

Last edited by LS1Fury!; 09-28-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why change if everything is fine?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Why change if everything is fine?

Read the last part of the post

And I already know you're gonna tell me to not waste my time with synthetic
Old 09-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not an "expert" but I'll chime in anyway. My car is an 02 with only 35k on it and gets driven a max of 5k a year. I use whatever 5 or 10w-30 I get on sale. Nearly all engine oils are excellent today and you'd be hard pressed to find any significant benefit from any of them if changed in a timely manner. If you're trying to get 25k out of an oil change then that's a whole different story. Change it at least once a year and forget about it.

I'd worry more about the rear end and the transmission. I see so many people with 100k vehicles that change the oil with synthetic every 3k yet the transmission or rear diff is still original fluid.

Last edited by Starion; 09-28-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Starion
I'm not an "expert" but I'll chime in anyway. My car is an 02 with only 35k on it and gets driven a max of 5k a year. I use whatever 5 or 10w-30 I get on sale. Nearly all engine oils are excellent today and you'd be hard pressed to find any significant benefit from any of them if changed in a timely manner. If you're trying to get 25k out of an oil change then that's a whole different story. Change it at least once a year and forget about it.
I can do all the reading on here on which brand is preferable to these engines but I'm mainly concerned about if I should be using something different with a car that sits a lot and is in texas
Old 09-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Fury!
Read the last part of the post

And I already know you're gonna tell me to not waste my time with synthetic
Well, oil can't sit for too long even if the engine is not being used. There's still a time limit.

And the synthetic thing....I said to just stay with whats been working

Its like me...some people want me to change to see what happens.....but man...WHY change what isn't broke.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

I'd say leave it alone, you won't gain a thing. You're biggest concern will be condensation, which will occur due to humidity. You're garaging the car, so even that won't be much of a problem.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Teching In

I would stay with the 10w-30 and change it every 3 months or 3000 miles whatever comes first
Old 10-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Launching!

I am in the same boat as you are. My 01 only has 25k miles on it. I am now running RP 5-30 oil in it. I change it once a year regardless what miles is on it. When i do drive it I make sure I drive atleast 20 minutes with car at running temp to burn any condensation in the oil, but when i do change it (was running valvoline 5/30 syn) the oil still looks brand new. I also run a delco PF61 oil filter.

i would say i would not worry about it, Just change it atleast once a year. as stated i have done a trans pan drop and changed the fluid and I am running RP 75-90 gear oil in it.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no need to change weights or brands. You're just fine keeping what you're using now.

Change it before you put it up for the winter and all will be well.