General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replace passenger side airbag cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replace passenger side airbag cover

I have a dash with a big lump in the passenger side airbag cover. (the part which says SRS).

I have another dash which does not.

How would I swap these two? When I looked at the part from behind, it looks like there is a hard plastic panel between the airbag and the passenger. This panel looks rivetted?

If you have a passenger side airbag blow, do you have to scrap the whole dash? I don't see how you would replace what must be a blow away plastic panel.

Spektre
Old 10-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Launching!

I have the same problem on a 98 Trans Am, big bubble on passenger airbag. Any info would be great!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

yep, you gotta replace the whole dash
Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by intense3123
yep, you gotta replace the whole dash
no... it comes out... when the air bag deploys, its not just going to rip straight through the dash. My car has the same bubble!! I feel your pain. I will be replacing mine as well. disconnect negative side battery, remove glove box, and I think there should be two bolts straight up and you should be able to pull it out pulling toward the rear of the car (prying it out). Always use caution when working with air bags, can cause serious injury or death. I blew one off one time with 50 ft of wire and a battery... it was some serious stuff. it flew in the air 10 ft. and sounded like dynomite... well almost.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
no... it comes out... when the air bag deploys, its not just going to rip straight through the dash. My car has the same bubble!! I feel your pain. I will be replacing mine as well. disconnect negative side battery, remove glove box, and I think there should be two bolts straight up and you should be able to pull it out pulling toward the rear of the car (prying it out). Always use caution when working with air bags, can cause serious injury or death. I blew one off one time with 50 ft of wire and a battery... it was some serious stuff. it flew in the air 10 ft. and sounded like dynomite... well almost.
So it does come out? When you fix yours are you going to get a replacement piece somewhere or try to re-glue the bubbling vinyl onto the backing? When you do this can you post pics?

Quick Reply: Replace passenger side airbag cover