General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil pan leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil pan leaking

Help, My 99 ls1 T/A has had a small leak from what looks to be the oil pan for over a year now and it is not getting any worse however I would like to take care of it. I am thinking I would like to do a cam swap, oil pump, valve springs ect…. At the same time. My question is how difficult is it to drop the oil pan far enough to replace the gasket? Do you have to drop the k-member completely? Can this be done with floor jacks? I am pretty mechanically inclined and have tools I just do not have access to a lift. I have done my other mods with no issues….

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To fully remove the oil pan, the alternator has to come off because the bolt is long and blocks the pan from coming all the way down to access the gasket. I'm not sure if the transmission has to be removed, but I don't think so.

A word of advice though, be really sure it's oil pan gasket. It's a bit of work to do for nothing. I had mine replaced about a year ago and was recently told that it's leaking. Of course, I took this with a grain of salt and I'm investigating other possible source of leaks that can give the appearance of an oil pan leak.

Quick Reply: Oil pan leaking