General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone use "Pro Blend" additives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use "Pro Blend" additives?

I purchaed some Seafoam and will perform the "cleaning" to the engine, but I had posted this question a week ago, and really didn't get anywhere--- has anyone used Pro Blend additive? Please let me know what your impressions are.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't use any of it unless they had independent lab veriifed test results to back up their claims, and showing that the tests were conducted IAW ASTM standards.

Just from the web site, it's all snake oil like the 10,000 other products identical to it out there. NEVER put additives in your oil!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

x2. Use good lubricants (I use AMSoil), and there is zero need for additives.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
I wouldn't use any of it unless they had independent lab veriifed test results to back up their claims, and showing that the tests were conducted IAW ASTM standards.

Just from the web site, it's all snake oil like the 10,000 other products identical to it out there. NEVER put additives in your oil!
I agree, but even if you have an independent test was it with the brand/weight oil you plan to use? Every oil manufacturer already puts an set of additives in the oil. You have no idea how this stuff will interact with your oil. Buy quality API rated oil and leave it alone.

One of the side effects of additives is separation and sludge build up. There was a thread not too long ago about someone who couldn't get the oil to drain out of his pan. There was another thread where a guy pulled his oil pan and found a pile of blue goo in the bottom. Save yourself the headache.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only positive effect any oil additive can have is to the bottom line of the huckster that's profiting from the sale of it.

I used to think of additives as an "automotive placebo", but they are actually worse than worthless because they can cause damage.

The only thing that belongs in your oil pan is oil.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 91RS383
I agree, but even if you have an independent test was it with the brand/weight oil you plan to use? Every oil manufacturer already puts an set of additives in the oil. You have no idea how this stuff will interact with your oil. Buy quality API rated oil and leave it alone.
That was kinda my point. I haven't found an additive maker yet that can supply those kind of results, as the testing gets pretty expensive. And believe me, I see every snake oil salesman there is in my job.

You're absolutely right, let the API rating tell the tale.