General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Few simple quesions, Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Few simple quesions, Help please.

1. My car is absolutely stock except for the K&N air intake and i wanna start doing some small mods to it and i wanna start with the shifter. My current stock shifter lotta times if your not on a perfect road when your in 3rd it pops out into neutral, thats one problem. 2nd problem is if im in 4th and and wanna down shift into 3rd so i can get on it a bit, many times i'll miss-shift and it'll grind, so its not a a very easy down shift, its not as smooth as i'd want it to be. My question is if i would get the Pro 5.0, would these 2 problems go away?

Note: when i do a down shift from 4th to 3rd in my friends z28 it feels absolutely fine without me mis-shifting it ever.

2. My door seals or my door is the problem. City driving is fine b/c im not at a high speed buy when im in the freeway doing 70+ in cruise my drivers side i get ALOT of air noise in, its driving me insane. And if i go into automatic carwash, small amounts of water do tend to get into throught the space. My passanger side doesnt make the noise but still has the water problem through a carwash. I thought it would be a simple door seal fix but i asked a close friend and he said it could also be your door is not shutting correctly? I dont know how to tell what specifically is the problem so i fix it. Any input would be greatly appretiate it.

3. Floor Mats. I see the fancy $80+ z28/SS logo ones that are on our sponsors websites but i really would like to get some cheaper ones through some retail stores and i was wonder since the passenger side has the bump infont of its feet, would any floor mats work or are those fancy expensive ones made to work its way around the bump and thats why there expensive? Would the cheaper ones through Target/AutoAdvanced or wherever work?

Thank You
Old 11-15-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Popping out of gear is not the shifter.

I would change the K&N filter to a paper one. Oil bath filters will mess up your MAF.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree, you've got a tranny problem that you need to fix as your first mod. Likely a bad third gear synchro at work there, as a minimum. Get the tranny right before you bother with the shifter.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

1) Are you sure your shifter is stock? Some of the aftermarket shifters have an adjustment screw to prevent shifting too far. If this is just slightly out of adjustment, you could be in a situation where 3rd and 4th won't engage properly. If it is stock, see fleetmgr's post above.

2) The noise is from the mirror. There is a vortex created when driving at high speeds right behind the mirror and it makes the wicket noise. (If you drive on the highway in the rain, you can see the watter pattern on the window behind the mirror.) You notice the noise because the doors/glass is sloped inwards towards your ear. (Unlike most cars.) If you ride in the passenger seat while someone else is driving, you will notice the same thing on the passenger side.

For the water, your seals are just getting worn. Someday, they will need to be replaced, but for now, you should be able to adjust out the issue with the window. If you take off the door panel, you should be able to find two bolts towards the top of the door that bolt in to white/tan plastic pieces (forward and rear stop) on the inside of the door. (Peek between the door panel and glass and you can see them.) Before making an adjustment, shut the door and observe how the glass engages the seal from the outside. Then loosen the front stop and raise it the amount you want the glass to go op. Tighten the stop, cycle the window down and then up, observe, and repeat as necessary. I've done this, resolved the major issue, but still sometimes I get a little seeping when I go through a car wash - but its only car washes. For me, wiping up the drips isn't worth putting in new seals.

3) Yes, cheap floor mats will work (you won't get fancy logos) but you may have to trim them so they fit under the pedals correctly and don't bunch up.