General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ABS INOP, Again, General Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS INOP, Again, General Help!

I've been working on my daily driver/project 93Z28 for the past few days. I've mainly been "de-ricing" the interior and under the hood, removing decals, neon, red wiring covers, and a huge birds nest of wires under the dash.

Now that I have finally removed all the extra wiring, an entire trash bag full, I have popped an ABS INOP light. I did find a resistor spliced into a wire under the dash which makes me think the owner put that in the circuit for the ABS rather than troubleshoot the cause! What a joke!

I've tried to slide a paper clip into the OBDI connector under the dash and couldn't get the car to enter the diagnostic mode, I'll have to trace those wires next to make sure they weren't cut somewhere too. Is there any other way to determine what could be throwing the light? I don't want to just start replacing sensors and ABS parts for nothing.

Going another route what about removing the ABS entirely? Is there a guide or kit out there to do this? I'm just thinking if I have to replace something that is gonna cost a ton of money I may just remove it.

Thanks again for any help.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the third brake light bulb. My old Camaro had an ABS inop light and one of the bulbs was out. Some goofy GM thing makes the light come on if one of the bulbs are out. Hope that fixes it for you.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the brake light, couldn't be that easy. Since this is a 93 I believe it has 3 channel ABS correct? The gears in the rear were changed to 3.73, doesn't the ABS sensor in the rear read something on the ring gear, isn't there some kind of notching or something on it that the sensor picks up, like a tone wheel kinda thing?
Point being if the guy didn't use a gear set that incorporated that the rear sensor might not be getting any kind of data?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, not really sure but it sounds like something to look into. You might be right he might not have plugged the sensor back in when he swapped out the gears. The worst thing is the ABS computer could be bad. A few months after my light came on and I changed the bulb it came on again. This time though all my bulbs were good. I had it scanned and the whole system was shot everything had to be replaced. Hope yours is just some little thing like a sensor. As far as bulbs go I read it on here somewhere. I was like there's no way that stupid bulb is throwing that light but it was ha ha. It's an easy thing to check so if I were you I'd still look at them just to be safe.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

from the sound of it... removing neon and other ****, wouldn't be a surprise if previous owner had the rear gear swap and didn't transfer the reluctor ring from the original ring rear to the new one. in fact, the old reluctor may not have fit the new ring gear because of the different size, and they probably didn't buy a new one, i'm not familiar with it but it's definitely worth checking. Also, the gear swap would also necessitate a computer reprogram to account for rear axle ratio otherwise your speedometer will be inaccurate.
you might want to hit up some of the sponsors about it, they would probably know, ask about the reluctor ring on the ring gear for 3-channel abs and what's available when you swap out the oem gears for 3.73's or 4.10's
to find out if the reluctor is there, you'll need to pull the differential cover and look at ring gear, it'll look like this