Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Car has trouble starting when cold outside

Old 12-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
On The Tree

Trader Rating: 0
Default Car has trouble starting when cold outside

This morning it was 35 degrees. I went to start the car, and it started and died. Tried again, started, ran rough for 3 secs, then died. Third time, fired right up. It has never done this before, but I've only owned it since August. So this is the first cold morning that the car and I have seen together.

So what could be causing this? Is this somewhat normal? Or is there something going wrong?

And I did a search, only found one thread and no questions were answered there so I started this one

2001 Trans Am M6Perf: Volant Intake, Dynomax Exh, skip shift, drill/slot rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Koni 4/4's, hose mod/lower perch, Strano sway bars, adj panhard, LCA's, relocation bracketsInt.: 6LE overlays, 2-tone leather accessories, billet Phoenix engraved ****, Lou's short stick, brushed stainless door sills Sound: JVC touchscreen HU, Alpine comp's in front, 2 10"Polk Audio subs in stealth boxes Ext.:18" Vette Spyder rims, HID's, clear markers, stainless grill inserts, silver met. body decals
AdmAnt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
12 Second Club

Trader Rating: 0

Anytime you have funky idle issues when the engine is cold you want to check and clean the MAF sensor. There is specific MAF sensor cleaner for sale at auto stores.

This cold idle issue is the function of the choke on a carburated engine. On our cars that should be the IAC motor I beleive.

Clean the MAF first, then clean the TB, and remove and clean the IAC.

Thanks, David
91RS383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
car, cold, hard, morning, mornings, starting, time, trouble