General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rattle/clacking sound under accelleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rattle/clacking sound under accelleration

i have been having a rattle type clacking sound coming from the front of the car under moderate to heavy acceleration. its only really noticeable in first gear..... not sure if the engine/road noise covers it up when going faster or if it goes away. What is also wierd is that I can kinda feel it in the steering wheel as well its hard to explain. it happens going straight and also when the wheel is turned either way but only under fairly heavy acceleration. Cant tell if its coming from the engine or from maybe the power steering or something but its def weird.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can feel it through the steering wheel thats mostilkely in you steering and not like a swaybar mount bushing or a swaybar endlink. does it make noise going over bumps? if you can have some one help you un load the suspension in front and shake the front tire up and down put your hands at the 12 o clock and 6 o clock position and have either you or a friend shake the tire and some one look on the back side and see if you can see or feel any slop in the balljoints. also check your tierod ends this can be done on the ground have some one steer the wheel back and forth kinda fast and get underneath and feel if there is any slop there. there should be no slop in your tie rods..
Old 12-19-2009, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

all that stuff was good. i changed the front shocks a while back and made sure everything was tight but that wasnt the problem. its definetely rpm related because the higher the revs climb the faster the clacking sound and feeling gets so its gotta either be the engine or something that is driven off of it like one of the pulleys and whatever it is can be felt as if its connected to the steering wheel.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not detonation is it? what kind of gas do you use and what are your mods?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jsteele90
its not detonation is it? what kind of gas do you use and what are your mods?
dam i hope not.... ive never been in a car with detonation before. i have all the bolt-ons and i have a frost mail order tune. car does it when cold also though so im not sure if that would still be detonation. i use only good quality 93 octane
Old 12-21-2009, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

bump.... anyone else have any ideas?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a flywheel come loose (bolts backed out) and it made a clattering noise that was loud when hitting the gas from a stop, but it went away about 40 mph.