General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No Key. Engine Start on caprice PPV🤨

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Key. Engine Start on caprice PPV🤨

So I’m going to look at a caprice ppv for a possible swap project. Problem is the car was sold at auction cheap as is condition with no key. Apparently fleet keys are common in these cars. For those unaware basically a fleet will have the same key for all the vehicles in the fleet. So this municipality did not offer a key in fear that this could cause issues. I guess my first question is has anyone ever tried obtaining a key from GM in this situation? My next question is what would it take to just start the car? I have hp tuners. I feel like if I could back feed the ecm,bcm,tcm remove the vats I can then jump the starter it should fire up. Lol I feel like I simplified it and it will take some creativity to the fuse block. Just want to make sure motor has good oil pressure and isn’t knocking. Any feedback appreciated.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

can you just replace the ignition lock cylinder for $50 and avoid all the hassle? Not sure - but thats the route i would explore
Old 12-31-2019, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Fleet will have the common key but each vehicle should have its own key that is issued to the officer. When we sell ours at auction they come with that key, obviously not the fleet one. I’m surprised to hear that the car came with no keys and makes me suspicious that something else is going on.

Quick Reply: No Key. Engine Start on caprice PPV🤨