General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ABS LIGHT and/or WHEEL SPEED SENSORS

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS LIGHT and/or WHEEL SPEED SENSORS

Who can tell me what the resistance in ohms on an abs or wheel speed sensor is? Or what to check in order to eliminate or find out why my abs light is on. I am hoping it is not the abs module.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

if the 'e-brake' 'ABS OPER', and Traction control lights are on, I'm 99% sure it is the abs module; but it's not hard to replace and you don't have to tear into the distribution box or lines.

I too, was hoping it was a wheel speed sensor when I had a similiar problem, and I checked them (can't remember the ohms, but none were odd). Upon more research, and a handheld scanner determined it was the module. I bought one used for $55.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
if the 'e-brake' 'ABS OPER', and Traction control lights are on, I'm 99% sure it is the abs module; but it's not hard to replace and you don't have to tear into the distribution box or lines.

I too, was hoping it was a wheel speed sensor when I had a similiar problem, and I checked them (can't remember the ohms, but none were odd). Upon more research, and a handheld scanner determined it was the module. I bought one used for $55.
So far its just the abs light. I figured if i knew how to diagnosed with the ole multi-meter i could narrow it down and just replace what is not working....which scanner was it...
Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

I don't remember the model, but it was expensive b/c it does both engine and ABS for OBDII. The ABS code, however, didn't exactly tell me it was the module. I had to research my code and that's what I came up with. It was more or less a generic code (such as a random misfire on the engine), but for the ABS system.

Not having all 3 lights on is a plus!

Did you recently switch tires and now the rears are taller than the fronts?

What are your symptoms beside the light?

Checking the wheel speed sensors was kinda of a pain, but worth it knowing all was OK. It was after this that I bought the scanner. It's nice b/c when I drive, I can see ALL types of engine parameters.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I don't remember the model, but it was expensive b/c it does both engine and ABS for OBDII. The ABS code, however, didn't exactly tell me it was the module. I had to research my code and that's what I came up with. It was more or less a generic code (such as a random misfire on the engine), but for the ABS system.

Not having all 3 lights on is a plus!

Did you recently switch tires and now the rears are taller than the fronts?

What are your symptoms beside the light?

Checking the wheel speed sensors was kinda of a pain, but worth it knowing all was OK. It was after this that I bought the scanner. It's nice b/c when I drive, I can see ALL types of engine parameters.
No it just popped on one day after driving the ole camaro in a heavy rain. As far as i can tell, the only symptom is the light no driveability issues. If you or anyone else can tell me which scanner i can get that reads and tells me whats up it would be great...