General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help asap, car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help asap, car wont start

Hey guys my camaro is acting like ****.

i was driving today and all the gauges died while driving down the street.

i got home and decided to turn the car off and restart it to see if the gauges went back on. BAD IDEA.

The car wont start. absolutely nothing when i turn the key. i had a buddy turn the key while i listened for the stater, the starter engaged when the key was turned but there was no sound like the engine was trying to crank over. (silent from inside the car) no "Wha wha wha wha" or nothing

Bad ignition, blew a fuse i have no idea! the headlights work, along with the radio and all other accessories.

someone please help fast, i need this running an hour ago.

thanks soooooo much

Kevin

2001 camaro ss
64k miles
Old 05-18-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right off the bat sounds like an alternator. I'd take it and the battery somewhere to be checked. If you can tow it to a shop thats even better. Sounds like an alternator to me if all your connections are tight and there are no loose/corroded grounds. The battery starts the car but if the alternator doesn't charge, the battery won't have enough juice to start it again. Then the battery drains out keeping the car alive till it finally dies out since the charging system isn't doing its job. It does sound like you have some power just not enough to start and run the car.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Replace your gauge fuse and it'll start right back up. I believe its a 10amp fuse(the red ones). It's located in your fuse box inside the car, not under the hood. It's a cheap and easy fix.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Make sure you don't have a short somewhere though, or else you will blow the fuse as soon as you start it up again. If that happens make sure you look at your turn signal sockets and make sure they aren't corroded and causing a short. For some reason if they are they make your gauge fuse blow which in turn causes you to not be able to start your car. Thanks to GM for being Gods at wiring.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TraptLP
Replace your gauge fuse and it'll start right back up. I believe its a 10amp fuse(the red ones). It's located in your fuse box inside the car, not under the hood. It's a cheap and easy fix.
turns out that was the problem. i went through a car wash minutes before this happened and it blew my passenger side front turn signal. on the list to replace tomorrow!

thanks fellas!!