Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 05-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
TECH Regular
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 25
Default WTF Z28 throwing Knock Sensor Code!?!?!?

Ok so about a week ago i was driving home on a small road from a little town about 15 miles away when a big *** rain storm hit. It got so nasty i couldnt see **** in front of me. It was pouring hard and all i could think off was "****, my 02s are gonna get wet and this bitch is gonna start misfiring." I kept driving in a hurry to get home incase it started hailing and i swear i saw a bunch of funnel clouds and tornados wanting to form before it started raining.

Well i got home and pulled into the drive way...BTW the storm passed. Right when i pulled into the drive way my car started idling rough and i knew somethin got wet. I went inside and thought maybe the next day it would dry out and the car would be fine. Well ever since the car runs fine up until i come to a complete stop. At idle it idles normal for a few seconds and then i can feel a little vibration that doesnt feel normal to me. I thought maybe it was just me but it kept buggin me so i went to autozone to get the codes checked(My engine light is always on, No EGR/AIR) I figured if something was wrong it must be throwing a code....well sure enough it got the Knock sensor Bank 2 Malfunction. I read the Repair manual for 1993-2002 Camaro at autozone and it said the knock sensor code will be triggered if a tick, knock or non-normal vibration is detected. It sucks that the Knock sensors are under the intake manifold by the valley cover.

SO why would this happen?? How much of a pain is it to remove the intake manifold and check the sensors? What could be causing the vibration? there is no tick or knock coming out of the motor...only thing im guessing it could be is detonation or timing is off.

2000 Camaro Z28 Hard Top-Built performabuilt level 3 4l60e tsp torquer V3 Cam, LS6 Heads LT's SOLD

2001 Camaro SS- H/C/I Moser 12 Bolt Full Rear Suspension Built 6 speed Spec Stage 3 clutch Full bolt Ons-SOLD
camaro981289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
TECH Regular
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 25

can anybody help???

2000 Camaro Z28 Hard Top-Built performabuilt level 3 4l60e tsp torquer V3 Cam, LS6 Heads LT's SOLD

2001 Camaro SS- H/C/I Moser 12 Bolt Full Rear Suspension Built 6 speed Spec Stage 3 clutch Full bolt Ons-SOLD
camaro981289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

This just happened to me today and I am wondering the same thing. It rained really hard last night and today and I tripped about 4 codes. I think they are all related some how. But the knock sensor is bad on mine. I don't think removing the intake is that difficult.
2001 Z28 camaro A4 2.73's Lid, Mac ML headers, LM2 Exhaust, Mac catted Y-pipe, SLP smooth bellows, UMI strut tower brace, panhard bar, relocation brackets, diamond SFC, boxed lower control arms, poly sway bar links (SOLD)

1998 Trans Am: A4, Full Bolt ons, Stalled, and Sprayed
stewaj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
TECH Resident
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
My Garage

Trader Rating: 31

Pulling the intake is not that bad. Is it possible some water got up on top of the motor? The reason I ask is sometimes the knock sensors get wet and cause problems.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9

Yes it is completely possible the sensors are under the intake and are only kept waterproof by two small rubber boots although it usually happens when washing the engine. When you replace the sensors be sure to put some silicone aroud the boots to keep the sensors dry. The most IMPORTANT advice I will offer is to be sure to get oem ac delco sensors. I went through 3 aftermarket sensors one right after the other from various aftermarket store like addvance or autozone eventually i ordered an ac delco and its been good to me. Are you sure that as the only code? Usually knock sensors will just retard timing but the motor will still run ok just be down on power.

2001 MRM firebird shorty headers, shaved lid, hotchkiss stb, 3.42 posi. SOLD
2002 Z28 M6, LS6 Swap 230/232 cam, Ported FAST 102/102, 85mm Z06 maf, Meziere EWP, ARH 1-7/8, Bassani TD's, Tune, Lid, SSRA, ATI 10%, Motive 3.90's, Tick M/C, MGW, 32lb Mcleod Twin Disk/Fidanza, CF driveshaft.
redbird555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:41 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement