General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-26-2016, 04:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

Trouble starting engine on warm starts only?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trouble starting engine on warm starts only?

My Camaro cranks up normally when the engine is cold, but after I've driven it and start it up warm, it takes a couple turns of the key. It will crank normally but not turn over until I let off the ignition and turn it over a second time. Any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bad battery. Hot/warm engines take more power to start then a cold engine. When batteries start to lose their gusto....you get hard hot/warm starts.

Stop by an auto parts store and get a free battery test.....see if its dying.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I had the battery tested and what do you know, it was going bad. However, the problem still remains after I installed the new battery. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Fuel filter is only a year old, spark plugs and wires are 1.5 yrs old, O2 sensors are 1 year old. I doubt that any of these would affect the engine having rough warm starts, but it's added information.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro_five0
Well, I had the battery tested and what do you know, it was going bad. However, the problem still remains after I installed the new battery. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Fuel filter is only a year old, spark plugs and wires are 1.5 yrs old, O2 sensors are 1 year old. I doubt that any of these would affect the engine having rough warm starts, but it's added information.
Not to be a smart ***....but what size did you put in? OEM?

I would next look to a failing starter. Or maybe corrosion anywhere from the battery terminals all the way down to the starter cables, at the starter.

Last edited by LS6427; 06-26-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I am reading it correctly, after it is warmed up it still cranks right? Just doesn't start? If it cranks after it is warm then it's not a starter issue. I'm thinking either a sensor is getting "heat soaked" or your fuel pump is losing pressure once it gets hot. Try putting a fuel pressure gauge on it after it is warm and see if you have lower pressure.

Or, after it is warm JUST key the ignition up a few times but don't actually try to crank it (this will prime the fuel system) and then give it a crank and see if it fires right up. If it fires right up then you have a fuel pressure problem. FWIW, our S10 has been doing that for 2 years now and it still starts. We just have to key it up a couple times and then crank it and it fires right up.

Also, a failing cam sensor will make it crank longer than usual. Does it ever not start after it is warm? Or does it just take longer than usual? I'm assuming no codes are being thrown?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

-The old battery did have a bunch of corrosion on the power terminal, which I cleaned off with a wire brush and put CPC on it. After the battery swap, still have the same issue.

-All of my parts are OEM. I have the Corvette O2 sensors on to compensate for my long tube headers (Bosch 13111).

-I have not tried keying the ignition a few times, I will try that next time I take it out.

-I am not throwing any codes. I have had my car dyno-tuned (3 years ago) with the rear O2s deleted. My front ones will still throw a code when they go out, and they do go out every couple years because I am running a tad rich.

-The car starts every time, it just fails to turn over on the first crank. I doubt it is the starter, because the crank spins every time I turn the ignition over.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Took her out last night for a drive to Chili's. After dinner, I turned the key to run the pump without cranking (twice) and it started right up. So I guess a new fuel pump is in the near future. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Quick Reply: Trouble starting engine on warm starts only?