General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New A/C parts w/ questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A/C parts w/ questions

So my A/C has never worked and I decided to finally fix it. I bought a new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube and complete seal kit. I took the old compressor, accumulator and orifice tube out and want to install all the new stuff this weekend but I have a question. Before I get it flushed there is no point to adding oil to the compressor or any thing else as directed right? Its just going to come out when flushed right?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

You can bolt the new compressor in place, but don't remove the plugs from it or connect the lines to it yet. Take all the new seals, orifice tube etc. to the shop doing the flush and let them put it in when they flush it. Let them evacuate, add oil and charge, also.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I live in Germany and they are going to charge me a ridiculous amount for such minor labor. Is there a reason I cant change every seal myself and leave the orifice tube out? Or better yet Is there any reason I should flush it at all seeing as the old orifice tube was completely clean with not a hint of debris? Im also going to charge it myself as its astronomical to get it done at shops. My wife's PT cruiser cost over $150 just to recharge...I cant even image what its going to cost to flush.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

If your compressor didn't die on you, and the system was left sealed up then there's no real reason to flush it. If the compressor did crap out then a flush is mandatory regardless of what you see in the orifice tube, as all the junk may be laying in the condenser.
The rest you can do your self as long as you have gauges and a vacuum pump.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think a seal or multiple seals leaked all the 134 out and its been empty ever since. Im not even sure the old compressor was bad but I dont like taking risks. Now I have a spare to take apart and mess with ^^