General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Started the car for the first time in a long time, and....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Started the car for the first time in a long time, and....

... it idled at 2,00-3,000 rpm the entire time it was on. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting any and everything under the hood to see if I could find a quick fix and nothing worked. I shut it off after a couple of minutes and didn't start it again because the battery is dead needed jumped.

The car has sat for several months. I was hoping I could just replace the battery and it would be okay, but apparently not.

Any ideas what might be wrong? The last time it ran it idled at a rock solid 850-900 rpm with no surging or any other problems. The only thing that has changed is that it has sat for a while.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

well the car will have to relearn its idle after the battery id taken out or dies i have seen some cars take a wile and have seen some be almost perfect right at start up.

charge up the battery and once you get it back in the car disconect the plugs on the tb and turn the key on but dont start it and let it sit like that for a min or so then turn the key off reconect the plugs on the tb and then crank it up and just let it run.

let it run for 10-15 min then take it for a drive and that should help.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Could be a vacuum leak somewhere in the system. Hard to say where from, but it should be fairly easy to isolate if that's the case.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

every time I disconnect power to the PCM, the engine idles erratically. Sometimes it doesn't want to rev, either. But it idles slower rather than faster. Your problem sounds like a vacuum leak.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ArkBird96
every time I disconnect power to the PCM, the engine idles erratically. Sometimes it doesn't want to rev, either. But it idles slower rather than faster. Your problem sounds like a vacuum leak.
Yeah that was my train of thought too. Typically when the computer is relearning things after having power cut or after mods, idling is really low and often tries to die. The only reason I could think of for a high idle like that would be a vacuum leak or the throttle blade in the TB not shutting for whatever reason.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

maybe the idle air control would do this???
Old 08-17-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I have the same problem. My car sat for 13 months on & off I only put 2k miles this year it has cold start but after 2minutes engine on it idles @ 500rpm, main problem header exhaust leak, still workin on it later on today, you should try a working IAC sensor borrow from your friend & see how it runs, I jus picked up a iac sensor from my friend & gonna install it see how my car idles, you should try reseting TPS throttle position sensor it's worth a try.
Turn car off
Remove TPS sensor wire harness
Turn car ign position just before it cranks (Do Not Start)
Wait 30secs
Turn off ign
Plug in TPS Sensor wire harness

George

Last edited by ls1jorge; 08-17-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: IAC