General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

solenoid only clicks

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solenoid only clicks

i replaced the starter now im starting to think that was a waste of money
she fired up the first two times and then all i got was a click sometimes it will start randomly
i checked the battery (12.98v) and the solenoid(4.9something) when i hit the key
the only help im getting is people saying check the battery and connections but i am obviously getting power what should i really check?
this is my daily driver i need for school and work please help me out
Old 09-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Teching In

even if you are getting some power, you gotta make sure that your cables have a real tight connection. my sister had put a battery in her saturn, she got it to run but she had the same thing where it ran a couple times and just died. she had all the interior lights and radio and everything, but it wasn't til i went out there and cranked her battery cables tighter that her car would start again.

other than that, make sure your cables are running from your battery to your solenoid to your starter in the correct directions (don't mix up your positives and negatives along the path).
Old 09-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Launching!

If its not the connection to the battery check the ground like on the block and the passenger fender well. Check ur ign relay that may be it also.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a problem with my starter just clicking at random times. Come to find out it was the connections on the starter. I cleaned the connection on the starter and positive and negative cables. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It might be worth trying to jump start the car. You need amps to start the car, volts don't matter as much. Also, can you check the fluid levels in the battery?