General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking Antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking Antifreeze

Noticed a few days ago that my coolant level light would come on.Top off the coolant and then it would come back on a few days later.Then I started to smell a slight odor of antifreeze.Well today after coming in for lunch,I noticed a puddle of antifreeze on the carport.I looked underneath and just saw it leaking from a couple places(could be just blowing around during driving to due to air flow),but nothing definite.There isn't any coolant in the floor board.Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trace back the leaks until you find where they came from. Get a nice small, bright flashlight, some paper towels to wipe off dirt/grease, and don't get in a hurry.

Start the car and let it warm up. Watch around the engine for leaks. When the engine is warm and under pressure you should start seeing drips.

Follow the drips to their source. Remember, they run accross, through, and around all kinds of things.

If that doesn't work go for a good drive and come back to look for the leaks that have developed. You might stop somewhere along your drive and check for leaks.

The most obvious places are at the thermostat, waterpump, and heads.

Be patient. Check carefully.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Trace back the leaks until you find where they came from. Get a nice small, bright flashlight, some paper towels to wipe off dirt/grease, and don't get in a hurry.

Start the car and let it warm up. Watch around the engine for leaks. When the engine is warm and under pressure you should start seeing drips.

Follow the drips to their source. Remember, they run accross, through, and around all kinds of things.

If that doesn't work go for a good drive and come back to look for the leaks that have developed. You might stop somewhere along your drive and check for leaks.

The most obvious places are at the thermostat, waterpump, and heads.

Be patient. Check carefully.
I checked around and didn't find anything.I just took it to my mechanic and from what told me when he called,it looks like the heater core ruptured and it's leaking from the plugs.