General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird overheating problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weird overheating problem.

I have an 02 Z28. Boltons. Recently my car has started overheating at random times. For example I will be cruising at 35mph, and the heat will max out. The fans aren't coming on and when I crank the heater the air isn't hot. If I just let it glide in neutral or restart it a few times or just let it sit after a minute it goes back to normal temperature instantly and the fans are working again.

Is my thermostat sticking?
Old 09-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroextra
I have an 02 Z28. Boltons. Recently my car has started overheating at random times. For example I will be cruising at 35mph, and the heat will max out. The fans aren't coming on and when I crank the heater the air isn't hot. If I just let it glide in neutral or restart it a few times or just let it sit after a minute it goes back to normal temperature instantly and the fans are working again.

Is my thermostat sticking?

Fix your fans......#1

and #2.....yes, a sticking t-stat causes random overheating.

I have no clue why you are not getting hot air when you turn the heat on. Is the fan blowing strong air through the vents?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
Fix your fans......#1

and #2.....yes, a sticking t-stat causes random overheating.

I have no clue why you are not getting hot air when you turn the heat on. Is the fan blowing strong air through the vents?

Yes the vent fans are blowing fine, Its like there is nothing flowing through them. But when the thermostat unsticks the fans kick on and the heater blows hot again. It seems like one single root problem.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your overheating because the thermostat is not opening allowing water to flow through the radiator. When closed the water pump flows water only through the motor and heads...once its hot enough and opens (thermostat) the hot water goes through the radiator to cool it down.

Last edited by BOA279; 09-19-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Yes the vent fans are blowing fine, Its like there is nothing flowing through them. But when the thermostat unsticks the fans kick on and the heater blows hot again. It seems like one single root problem.
The t-stat has absolutely nothing to do with the fans, they are not linked in any way. The fans turn on and off by the temp sensor readings from the coolant temp sensor in the drivers side head. If the t-stat sticks closed the coolant in the heads/engine will get hot and the fans should turn on, even if coolant is not flowing to and from the radiator.

You may have a bad temp sensor if the fans are not coming on.

Cheapest thing to do is to take the t-stat out of the housing, bolt the housing back up, top off the coolant and go for a drive. See if things stay at a normal temp, maybe a little hotter tha normal. When you are about 230* both fans should be on HIGH. Or turn the A/C "on' max and the fans should also come on right away after the engine is up to operating temp.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have you even checked ur coolant OP? I didn't see that in the original post. I had a small leak in my system awhile back and it would do what yours did. I checked my coolant and I had NONE!!