General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Misaligned subframe??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Misaligned subframe??

Does anyone have any experience with a misaligned subframe? I'm wondering what the symptoms would be.

Its hard to describe the symptoms..

On the expressway it tends to wander. Especially in crosswinds. Also the steering feels imprecise.

The car has 40k miles and has had an alignment (which did not help). The tie-rods are in good shape, and none of the suspension parts seem to be worn. I'm at a loss.

The car is an 07 cts. I just figured with all the knowledge on here someone might be able to offer some help.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have dont over 2.000 alignments in the last 4 years. Am have learned almost everything there is to know about alignments. our cars have a subframe that is pretty fixed. there is no slotting to alow for alot of adjustment. but very minimal movement can happen when putting in a new subframe, but nothing major that the alignment wont fix. if it only at highway speeds, 65+ you may be having some sway bar link/struts/tires issue. If it wants to drift when you hit bumps it is most likely struts. if it is just consistant with higher speeds it is most likely a sway bar link issue. and it is always a good idea to make sure you have good tires. tires will affect almost everything on the car. Or it even may be that you are driving to fast. you can try getting an aftermarket strut tower brace to help stiffin the front. that will help the stability of the vehicle at higher speeds.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99_SS_LS1
Does anyone have any experience with a misaligned subframe? I'm wondering what the symptoms would be.

Its hard to describe the symptoms..

On the expressway it tends to wander. Especially in crosswinds. Also the steering feels imprecise.

The car has 40k miles and has had an alignment (which did not help). The tie-rods are in good shape, and none of the suspension parts seem to be worn. I'm at a loss.

The car is an 07 cts. I just figured with all the knowledge on here someone might be able to offer some help.
What you describe sounds like you need a little more toe-in.

$0.01

Quick Reply: Misaligned subframe??