General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wifes car not running right, need opinions!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wifes car not running right, need opinions!!!!!

My wife drives a 99 trans am, automatic, one day she called me and said it wasnt running right. when she was driving down the highway it acted like it was reving up and down.

My ffirst thought was overdrive was going out, so I told her to put it down in third and drive it. It didnt do it as bad but still was acting up. It only does it when your driving on a highway at a constent speed like 45, 55, or 65.

Its been getting worse and worse lately so I finally got a chance to drive it.
Its not the transmission slipping, it acts like your pumping the gas real quick, on and off. Doesnt do it all the time though. Sometimes after you drive it for a while and sometimes as soon as you take the car out.

Dont know if a sensor went bad and is causing this or what. figured I would see what you guys have to say before i put it on a machine or thow parts on.

The engine light comes on when it rains hard but is off the rest of the time ( thats probly another issue with the ram air hood though.)

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotrans am1
My wife drives a 99 trans am, automatic, one day she called me and said it wasnt running right. when she was driving down the highway it acted like it was reving up and down.

My ffirst thought was overdrive was going out, so I told her to put it down in third and drive it. It didnt do it as bad but still was acting up. It only does it when your driving on a highway at a constent speed like 45, 55, or 65.

Its been getting worse and worse lately so I finally got a chance to drive it.
Its not the transmission slipping, it acts like your pumping the gas real quick, on and off. Doesnt do it all the time though. Sometimes after you drive it for a while and sometimes as soon as you take the car out.

Dont know if a sensor went bad and is causing this or what. figured I would see what you guys have to say before i put it on a machine or thow parts on.

The engine light comes on when it rains hard but is off the rest of the time ( thats probly another issue with the ram air hood though.)

Any input would be appreciated.
Take it down to autozone and have them plug into the OBDII port with a scan tool and run a diagnostic. It's free! ... Write down the code(s) being thrown and come back and post them. We would need to know what codes are up to help more.

P.S. ... Last time I had s similar problem was 4 years ago. Turned out to be something as simple as the MAF being dirty and needing to spray it down.

P.S.S. ... FYI to the OP, this thread belongs in the 'General Maintenance' Section

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 11-21-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Just got back from Autozone, no codes. He suggested IAC sensor, but I would think if it was that, I would be Idleing high or low. Idle is fine
Old 11-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the 02 sensors
Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Do you think the O2 sensors would give me problems when I was driving around town too? And would they throw a code?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Teching In

I think if they hook it up to a diagnostic machine rather than a hand held scan tool they can tell if the O2s are bad. Not for sure though
Old 11-21-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be many things but to me it kinda sounds like the fuel pump is on its way out. Could also be your o2's but you need a scanner that can monitor them when it is running to say for sure.