General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

okay to re-use rear main seal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default okay to re-use rear main seal?

Hey everyone i replaced the rear main seal and rear cover gasket in my 99 trans am a couple of weeks ago. Then one of the two bolts that threads into the bottom of the cover stripped and broke causing it to leak. I have removed my tranny again and am going to remove the cover to get the threads fixed. My question is, since my seal and rear cover gasket are so new is it okay if i re-use them? also i have heard the cover needs to be aligned just right, but i dont understand how it could be aligned wrong??
Old 11-23-2010, 05:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 218 Likes on 178 Posts

the manual specifies special tools to install and align rear cover and rear seal.....but i have never done it myself
Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just dont see how the rear cover could not be aligned correctly. I mean the bolts can only line up one way. Cant find much on the subject.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

You have to ensure that the rear cover is secure against the oil pan. I put in a new short block and put the pan on last, leaving gaps between the front and rear cover and the pan. This caused an oil leak, and a lot of extra work I didn't want to do. GM actually has a tool they use to properly align the front and rear cover they ship to dealerships when they need it. I just had a buddy pull down on the covers (with the oil pan installed and properly torqued to spec) while I installed the plates, tightening from the bottom up in a circular pattern. It may have been a bit over board, but spending cash like I do on this car is too.

Just ensure it is flush with the bottom of the block.

If the rear main seal and the gasket are new they should be fine to reuse. It just depends if you have the cash to pop for new ones.

Quick Reply: okay to re-use rear main seal?