General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will not start

My car has been sitting for a few weeks.

When I try to start my car, I get nothing but a single click when I turn the key. There is no starter click,click,click...

I replaced the battery with a new one. Autozone tested it as bad. I Installed new battery and nothing; headlights, radio, chimes all work and don't go dim while attempting to start. Reads about 9 volts on the instrument cluster. Hook up another vehicle with jumper cables and get 13 volts, but still will not start. Next i try switching fan relays for both the ignition and starter relays under the hood and nothing.
I figure it's the starter solenoid, and pull the starter. Take it to Autozone and it test bad. I decide to replace it with a new one, not a refurb, and reinstall. Nothing.

Turn the key and still get the single click which sounds like the solenoid.

WTF?

What else is there to check before I tow this thing to the repair shop?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad connection, probably the ground to the engine. Remove each end and inspect it.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your security light come on?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by babbage1109
Does your security light come on?
When I turn the key to the run position, the security light flashes...
Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you need a VATS bypass.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

The security light only flashes when the key is in the run position, not a steady on. If it is the VAT system, wouldn't the light stay on instead of only flashing?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Here's a post from the electric guru here on 'tech.

This should answer your question.
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
VATS is the GM acronym for Vehicle Anti Theft System. It is part of the Body Control Module (BCM). It is intended to prevent hot-wiring the car by checking that the original key is in the ignition cylinder. It does this by checking the resistance of the pellet in the key against its programmed memory value. If they don't match, the starter relay is disabled and the fuel enable signal to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is shut off preventing any fuel flow to the engine. When a non-matching resistance value is found, the BCM lights the SECURITY light in the instrument cluster. When no resistor pellet is found (infinite resistance), the BCM flashes the SECURITY light indicating a missing or broken key.

VATS can be bypassed by inserting resistors of the correct total value into the circuit to simulate the original key being in the ignition cylinder. This is very inexpensive (less than a couple of dollars) and reasonably easy to do.

If the SECURITY light is not on or flashing then it probably isn't a VATS problem. It could still be a BCM problem - for example, a loose connector could create the same symptoms.

Beyond that, it could be any of the usual (and unusual) suspects for a car that won't start. Your first steps in diagnosing depend on whether the engine is cranking without starting or not cranking at all (i.e. starter system problem vs. engine problem). There are all the usual culprits - battery, starter, starter drive, fuel supply, spark, and even the ignition relay. But starting with replacing the ignition relay as a random attempt to fix the problem is not a good idea - especially since a bad relay would cut out while driving just as easily as while starting yet you haven't experienced engine stalling.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
This should answer your question.
I notice that the security light is flashing when the key is in the starting position as well. From your whitebird's quote and what I've been reading, it look like we have a culprit. Now I have to figure out how to steal my own car. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

The "broken key" also means that the wires inside lock cylinder are broken. So a lock/cylinder could need replacement.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

The "broken key" also means that the wires inside lock cylinder are broken. So a lock/cylinder could need replacement.
Thats what I'm thinking too. I understand that it is common for the wires to break requiring replacement of the lock cylinder. I'm gonna see if I can test it with the multimeter and see if I get resistance similar to the chip in the key. A lock smith that I spoke with earlier said a new cylinder cost about 200.00.
Another locksmith said they can reset the vats system for 100.00, but from my research the system cannot be "reset" and it only 'times out" for 4 minutes when in tamper mode. I;m not feeling like donating a bill for someone to tell me the resistance of the key and then all of a sudden want another 200.00 for a new lock cylinder. LoL...

Last edited by RedStreak; 12-22-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

My understanding of the VATS system so far all tells me that the system cannot be "reset". So is this procedure linked valid? I'm gonna say what the hell and try it anyway.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...72&postcount=5

This **** did not work. I even tried clicking my heels fives times and dancing a jig.

Last edited by RedStreak; 12-22-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

You can get vats tuned out using software like HP Tuners.
The locksmith saying they will reset VATS is , there's no such thing.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

You can get vats tuned out using software like HP Tuners.
The locksmith saying they will reset VATS is , there's no such thing.
About what I figured.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

I got the car running. I did the Vats bypass with a single resistor. Cost? 1.00
Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Teching In

hey i have a 2000 t/a car doing what ur car did turn the key and nothing happens just click click noise but my security light is flashing and what i been reading bout what u and the other person are talking bout i need help with mine plz the performance shop i deal with said they can by pass it for $75 but if i can do it my self i will like to kno how plz help if u want u can contact me on my cell 410-916-5174 name steve by the way
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

you got better shot of sending him a pm. I doubt he's gonna check this thread again.

btw any alarm/stereo place can do this for you.

This is a great DIY.