General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000 model V6 camaro won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 model V6 camaro won't start

Hey Guys,

I am bummed, I've just hit my first problem with my Camaro after 125,000 trouble free miles. I drove home yesterday fine, but went to start it last night and it started, ran for about a second, then died. The starter cranks fine but I'm not getting any ignition. What could be the cause? I've checked the fuses and relays in the engine bay, they're OK, not sure what to try next. I am used to the old style coil type ignitions so don't really know how the coil system works on the V6. I noticed this morning that my "service engine light soon" dash light is now on, never noticed it on before.

Thanks for any responses, I will be so happy if I can get this fixed...

Sean
Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From my experience with the 3.8 v6, these issues are caused by a few things but first step is I 'd scan the computer for the code thats causing the SES light.

It seems like a spark issue at the ignition control module (had mine go bad twice in 2 years) or one of the 3 coils.

The other root of the problem could be cam and or crank sensor since you said it started once and turned off.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds kinda like fuel pump. Code could be "lean condition." Check the fuse for the fuel pump, if it's fine, get under the car just in front of the driver side rear wheel and unplug the fuel line from the fuel filter. Turn the key to ON without cranking. If the fuel sprays out hard, pump is good. If the fuel just keeps draining, pump is bad. Before buying a pump, you'll want to check the electrical plug that's right on the top of the plug as they've been found to vibrate loose.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get that light scanned first thing. Don't put a single part in until you do.

Quick Reply: 2000 model V6 camaro won't start