General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Driver's Seat trouble!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Driver's Seat trouble!!

Looking for any ideas here. I have a 1995 Z28 with leather seats from a 1997 Z28 installed about 7 years ago. The power driver seat has never given me any problems until today. I got in and the seat was slid all the way back. Thinking someone was messing with me, I pushed the center button(the round one) forward and let it go once I got it back to around the correct placement. Well the seat just slid backwards on its own as if I were holding the switch down. Everytime I tried to slide forward it just kept going back on its own until it stopped at the end of the track. All the other switches work and even this switch works to move the seat up and down just not front to back. Anyone esle ever had this happen? Is there a fix for this? Thanks for any info/help.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd guess your switch was bad. Probably easiest to buy a new or used replacement, pull the panel off and bolt the new one in. You could try removing the switch assembly and seeing if you can find a visible problem and clean it up.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. If I pull the panel off, the switch panel should be easy to remove right? Just a couple of bolts/screws? I'm guessing that these switches might be a GM only part?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yea, I think there are two screws that hold the switch to the back of the plastic side piece. Be careful taking that side piece off! There are some tabs that I recall are easy to brake. If you can't get the switch from a dealer, I'm pretty sure Classic Industries sells them. Or... I haven't heard of these going bad that often so getting one from a salvage yard might be fine.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, be careful taking the panel off. Don't force anything. It something seems stuck, find the spot and look at it to see why. Once its off it's held on by a couple screws or so. The switch is not GM only. You can buy it on Rockauto, but should still be available from GM as well. A junkyard piece should be fine as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Hey thanks a lot for the help guys. I'll try the switch first then go from there.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Picked up a good used switch from a local guy here and it fixed the problem! Thanks again for the help guys.