General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak

Okay, today i noticed water leaking on my car and it smelled like radiator fluid. My car was parked lately for the past 3 months because i was driving my other car, but i made sure my car was turned on every week. On the floor were three different spots... It only leaks when the car is on, obviously, i think? I'm not sure if it CAN leak while off? As of now i found two different leak spots:

On this first picture, on 1 (one) you are able to see radiator fluid. I am not sure if it leaked from above and was dripping or its leaking from the flush. On 2 (two) is where i found some water like (or it can be radiator fluid) on the trims.

On this picture is where i saw radiator fluid dripping along the ridges

Here are the three different spots just to let you see where the leaks are come from. The spot from the far right, the bigger one, is right direct below number 1 from the first picture.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like your tank has sprung a leak my friend, Where the tank meets the core. And these Plastic tanked radiators can not be fixed like the old brass and copper radiators, You have to replace it. You can go new, or search this site, and craigslist, I have seen radiators for these cars go for 25.00. But new ones come with warranties.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Damn, what could of caused this? Might if have been from the cold weather? When replacing the radiator what else should replace while i am at it. THanks
Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

I think a new thermostat is standard for replacing the radiator. usually only costs 5-9$
Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Why do many people leave their Fbodies to rest during winter time? I never had a second car till this past year so i let my rest like the other.... and this what happened. Now, i not saying this caused it but what a bummer. The cheapest radiator i found was 139.99 from ws6Store.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=834

Last edited by Dood001; 03-18-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Teching In

UPDATE:

I think i have found the problem to my leak i am not sure though. I know that my car does 3 different water marks on the floor (first post I have pictures), if it was the one i found today then that would of caused only 1 water mark?

The blue arrows are where the cracks can be seen, they're a few more going straight down from the ones you can see; there is also one more above it but you can not see it cause of the pipe. The red arrows are just the ridges.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Nice burst tank. . . . . They do love to crack. My last GM did it right after I seen my friend's pop on the race track.

I sure wish aluminum ones were cheaper.