Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 02-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 12
Send a message via AIM to 2002CamaroSS1982 Send a message via MSN to 2002CamaroSS1982 Send a message via Yahoo to 2002CamaroSS1982
Default Possible Wheel Bearing Problem on my DD

Hey all,

I wanted to tap all of the knowledge available on this website for a possible problem with my daily driver a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, my SS is safely tucked away in the garage for the winter and I would like it to stay that way. I think I have a bad front wheel bearing, it has gotten progressively worse over the past 2 weeks, symptoms are:

-popping sound from the front when leaving a stop sign or stop light

-shimmy in the front end that has gotten progressively worse to the point now where you cant go up a hill or accelerate moderately without feeling like the front of the car is going to shake apart

-constant shimmy, shake, at 60/70 mph.

It has gotten to the point where I am driving the car the short distance to work and not taking it up to higher speeds anywhere.

Does this sound consistent with a wheel bearing? If so what is the best way to test which one is bad with the car jacked up?

Thanks
2002 Artic White Camaro SS M6. SLP Lid, High Flow Filter, Smooth Bellow, Pro 5.0 shifter, Magnaflow c/b, Livernois Stage 3 CNC'd heads, Livernois Stage 2 Cam 232/232 .595/.595 114LSA, 92mm FAST intake and PTM t/b 95mm combo from Texas Speed, SLP U/D Pulley, 85mm ZO6 MAF, JP Double Roller Chain, Kooks 1 3/4" headers, Kooks o/r Y pipe, tune, Nitto DR's Tuned by Speed Inc. 462rwhp/416rwtq
2002CamaroSS1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

as a rule of thumb. while driving the car make turns to the left and right. if the wheel bearing on the left side is bad the the noise will be there when turning right. and if the right wheel bearing is bad the noise will be there when turning left. your basically loading the bearing while turning. when you think you have pinpointed which side is making the noise, jack up the front end and check for play by grasping the tire on the top and bottom and try rocking it in and out. front hub/wheel bearings should have no play. you might even be able to turn the wheels and hear the bearing grinding. good luck.
427bbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 12
Send a message via AIM to 2002CamaroSS1982 Send a message via MSN to 2002CamaroSS1982 Send a message via Yahoo to 2002CamaroSS1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427bbc View Post
as a rule of thumb. while driving the car make turns to the left and right. if the wheel bearing on the left side is bad the the noise will be there when turning right. and if the right wheel bearing is bad the noise will be there when turning left. your basically loading the bearing while turning. when you think you have pinpointed which side is making the noise, jack up the front end and check for play by grasping the tire on the top and bottom and try rocking it in and out. front hub/wheel bearings should have no play. you might even be able to turn the wheels and hear the bearing grinding. good luck.

Thanks for the help man, I also heard that you could stick a stethoscope on the hub and listen for a bad bearing so I may try that one as well.
2002 Artic White Camaro SS M6. SLP Lid, High Flow Filter, Smooth Bellow, Pro 5.0 shifter, Magnaflow c/b, Livernois Stage 3 CNC'd heads, Livernois Stage 2 Cam 232/232 .595/.595 114LSA, 92mm FAST intake and PTM t/b 95mm combo from Texas Speed, SLP U/D Pulley, 85mm ZO6 MAF, JP Double Roller Chain, Kooks 1 3/4" headers, Kooks o/r Y pipe, tune, Nitto DR's Tuned by Speed Inc. 462rwhp/416rwtq
2002CamaroSS1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2001, 2002, bearing, car, end, front, grand, grinding, jacked, noise, pontiac, prix, shakes, turned, wheel