Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2
Default Harmonic Balancer - Want Come Off!

I am in the process of disassembling a 1999 LS1 and I am at the point of pulling the harmonic balancer.

I bought a three prong two ton puller. It bent the rod pushing against the front of the balancer bolt. I used a three ton puller tonight and put a big socket between puller center shaft and the front of the crank. I did this instead of using the crank bolt to keep from stressing the threads.

After about a two full turns past seating the center shaft against the socket the balancer still has not moved.

Any suggestions? Should I heat up the balancer?

K
Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
TECH Fanatic
1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 35

No dont heat it up, you will melt the elastomer used to bond it. Make sure everything is seated up square and straight and give it all you got. itll pop loose, and prolly be a fight the whole way off. You need to make sure the point of the puller shaft is turning straight in, If you are using a socket and the hole is too big then your force will be transferred into the screw digging into the socket instead of pulling the balancer. Make sure the hole isnt too big, and put some grease where the screw meets the socket you are using to help it turn. This should work for you. Dont sweat breaking that lil puller, The cheaper ones break all the time. Hope this helps.
1998 white T/A callies stuffed 383 (built by ME), prc heads, ported fast 92, EPS cam,morels,and the rest of the goodies,pushed by a QTP ford 9" Jakes performance 4l80 with transbrake and tcs billet converter.

Never save anything for a special day, THIS day the Lord has given IS special.
RARON455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9

Dont use a 3 jaw puller. Pick up a Chrysler harmonic balancer puller from an Autozone or any other parts store that does rental. it fits on the inside of the pulley and you use the crank bolt to push against it. it is a smaller diameter puller and is perfect for it! I have used it several times.
Attached Thumbnails
Harmonic Balancer - Want Come Off!-otc6667.jpg  

Member of Classic Camaro of Central Florida
www.cccfonline.com

383 LS1

Last edited by Ntimid8r7; 03-22-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Ntimid8r7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 35

You should be pulling on the inside of the balancer anyway, using the three arms of the balancer. If you pulled on it from the outside and broke the puller,,I would not re-use that balancer.
1998 white T/A callies stuffed 383 (built by ME), prc heads, ported fast 92, EPS cam,morels,and the rest of the goodies,pushed by a QTP ford 9" Jakes performance 4l80 with transbrake and tcs billet converter.

Never save anything for a special day, THIS day the Lord has given IS special.
RARON455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Default Success

I picked up the Chrysler puller and it worked like a champ with impact wrench. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
On The Tree
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

In the future always use a wrench on pullers..
Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

yes an impact gun should not be used on the puller.
CamaroZ28_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2002, 35, 454, balancer, bolt, chrsyler, chrysler, harmonic, jaw, prong, puller, pulling, remover, rental, socket