General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ran out of gas- now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
There's no issue with running out of gas........it causes nothing to happen. How long did it run while out of gas? It can run for awhile.

How long did it run while out of gas.... Dude you made my day when i read that.

Im just messin with ya ls6
Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
how many miles on the car and what year is it? I'm pretty sure your pump is dead. This happened to me in my old 98 Trans ams with 135k. Ran out of gas and that was the end of the pump. If you do a fuel pump cutting a access hole is the easiest and fastest way. It will take you less than a hour
Almost the same story with me. Ran out of gas a mile from a station, had to hump a gas can the whole way in the cold and misting rain and the car wouldn't do anything. Turns out the pump burnt up when I ran it out. I did the access hole and didn't have any problems after I replaced it. I just make sure I don't run it out of gas!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Well, got the new pump and wiring harness on the way. The ws6store price matched a lower price i found and knocked off the shipping- so it was a pretty good deal. Only good thing about it all i guess-is now ill have a better pump and wiring- supposed to support up to 600hp
Old 04-02-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone heard of the bang your tank/pump thing? I am not sure what its called, but when your pump stops working, you may get it to work if you hit the tank, I think with a rubber malet. It will work for alittle, but will die soon after.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brando5641
How long did it run while out of gas.... Dude you made my day when i read that.

Im just messin with ya ls6
hahahahaha........yup, that sounded odd. I meant how long did the FUEL PUMP run after he was out of gas. Or how many times did he keep letting it prime to try to start it. I'm wondering how people burn up fuel pumps when they run out of gas. I just don't see how it happens, unless they keep trying to start the engine for an hour.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zaaronz
Well, got the new pump and wiring harness on the way. The ws6store price matched a lower price i found and knocked off the shipping- so it was a pretty good deal. Only good thing about it all i guess-is now ill have a better pump and wiring- supposed to support up to 600hp
I hope you got the Racetronix fuel pump set up.....its the best one out there.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brando5641
yea josh crap didnt you know that fuel pumps last forever? Gezzzz also you might check the coolant that goes to the fuel pump it might be out...

Fuel pump going out........lol that never happens.... lol

Hey ls6 he prob. has the silent FP mod lol lol

Aron i would check the relay and if its good slap a fuel pump in it. Do the trap door. Aftermarket pumps dont last long. Also dont let your car get below 1/4 of a tank. The pump uses the fuel as a coolant. On high milage cars this is a killer to run it out of gas.
My Racetronix fuel pump kit has seen at least 6 dry tanks........But I try to crank it up just once after I've run out of gas. Pump is still fine after 9 years. When I was stock from 1998-2002 I ran out of gas maybe 2-3 times. Pump was fine.

I guess its bad luck for people...or they try to crank it 10 times.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Launching!

I hope you got the Racetronix fuel pump set up.....its the best one out there.

yep- thats what i got- the guys at ws6store hooked it up!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by guy7bmwm83
Has anyone heard of the bang your tank/pump thing? I am not sure what its called, but when your pump stops working, you may get it to work if you hit the tank, I think with a rubber malet. It will work for alittle, but will die soon after.
This worked on my chevy 2500 used a mallet like ya said- I tried on my TA and it didnt help at all
Old 04-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zaaronz
yep- thats what i got- the guys at ws6store hooked it up!
Cool, now you're all set for pretty much any N/A engine set up you get in the future. They are good to a little more than 600 RWHP.

If you run out of gas again, you will have no worries of burning up that pump. Just don't keep turning the key on and off priming it 10 times when its out of gas or leave the key in the "on" position.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I recently ran out of gas, now my car won't start!

I had just replaced my stock fuel pump with a used walbro pump I got on Craigslist a month ago. My car has been running great until I ran out of gas on sept 1st 2015. (With this new pump setup I have noticed as soon as it says check gauges I am running on fumes, even tho the gas gauge looks like I have a 1/16 of gas left in the tank. I added 6 gallons of gas (no luck). I did the prime 5 times then crank (no luck). The pump has a healthy sounding hum 3-5 secs consistently then stops. Today sept 3rd 2015, I changed the fuel filter (no luck). I was reading the other posts and saw someone say "if the pump sucks up dirt" basically you are screwed. My question is, if the fuel pump sucks up dirt, will it still have that consistency of a healthy Hum sound everytime? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Thx Mike
Old 09-06-2015, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

There's no issue with running out of gas........it causes nothing to happen to the pump. If it did mine would have been toast after 8 times of doing it.

How long did it run while out of gas? It can run for awhile.

If the fuses are good, maybe disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Don't know what that'll do, but try everything before cutting that flap door to replace it. Its not a fun job from what I've been told.

lol "How long did it run while out of gas?" I'm tellin ya man these LS1's are so die hard they can deny the laws of physics.

hahahahaha........yup, that sounded odd. I meant how long did the FUEL PUMP run after he was out of gas. Or how many times did he keep letting it prime to try to start it. I'm wondering how people burn up fuel pumps when they run out of gas. I just don't see how it happens, unless they keep trying to start the engine for an hour.

I've been one of the fortunate few myself. I ran out of gas in a 97 V6 and 2 Gallons later it cranked right back up, however; after I realized it was out of gas and chugging I did NOT attempt to try to recrank it.

Our 05 G35 has a faulty fuel gauge and we never knew how much gas was in it unless it plainly ran out. This car ran out of gas twice and still recranked, but once again when it died we didnt attempt to recrank until there was more gas in it. The first time it happened we were moving at about 50 MPH and I pulled over IMMEDIATELY and shut it down before it completely died aswell.

As for your question... I have wondered this myself, but I dont doubt that its possible for the pump to overheat on a hot summer day after running the car for the better of 30 minutes constantly with nothing to cool it down but liquid fuel...After that flow stops the heat probably catches up to it pretty quick, however; my other theory is...it sucks up sludge or dirt and that finishes it off.

Cool, now you're all set for pretty much any N/A engine set up you get in the future. They are good to a little more than 600 RWHP.

If you run out of gas again, you will have no worries of burning up that pump. Just don't keep turning the key on and off priming it 10 times when its out of gas or leave the key in the "on" position.

Leaving the key on the "on" position will do no further harm than priming it as the PCM will shut off the pump in 3 seconds unless the car is cranked.

Quick Reply: Ran out of gas- now wont start