General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Annoying T-Top Rattle over bumps, fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Annoying T-Top Rattle over bumps, fix?

I get this annoying driver-side T-Top Rattle over bumps, anyone have a fix? It almost seems like something is not secured inside, maybe just the plastic in the interior edge. Are there some kinds of clips holding them on? Anyone taken theirs apart and have pics to share?

TIA
Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i got the same problem but both sides it sucks i heard sub-frame connectors will help alot but not sure
Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've taken my driver's side apart, sorry no pics.
it's rather easy to pull the plastic shroud off the locking mechanism, hardest part is getting the little c-clip off the handle shaft to remove the plastic handle, then the plastic cover comes off after the 2 screws at each end.
just my driver's side makes an annoying creaking noise and i think it's plastic fatigue of the plastic frame glued to the t-top glass. If i unlock my t-top and drive around it doesn't creak. Haven't been able to find a second t-top to swap them and see if the noise goes away, or goes with my t-top to another car. Only fix for something like this is a new t-top unfortunately.

what might also cause t-top noise is the seals shrink and the top does not get pushed down firmly when you lock it in. this is likely in cold weather. what you can do is put a little shim between the t-top and center frame, what i had done on my 99 is put a finger size glob of rtv under the center t-tbar of the roof at the front and back end to serve as the shim (let it dry and harden first) then when you install the t-top it helps push it down a little and get rid of it actually bouncing around. try some small pieces of cut cardboard at first to use as shims and see if that gets a tighter t-top fit and fixes the noise.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

are you installing those konis? because that might help considerably.

it made all of my rattles disappear.

Quick Reply: Annoying T-Top Rattle over bumps, fix?