General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exaust Mani. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exaust Mani. HELP!!

When i purchased my Camaro SS 01, the previous owner had notified me about an exaust leak. I know my way around cars but im still a beginner, but i definitely know when i hear the clicking near the manifold and/or flange gasket, that i needed to change the gaskets out. I pulled my exaust manifold, changed the gasket but now the bolts dont want to go back in?? They get stuck and i dont want to cross thread (if i havent already) or strip the bolts. Ideas, answers and solutions much appreciated!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pabbi's SS01
When i purchased my Camaro SS 01, the previous owner had notified me about an exaust leak. I know my way around cars but im still a beginner, but i definitely know when i hear the clicking near the manifold and/or flange gasket, that i needed to change the gaskets out. I pulled my exaust manifold, changed the gasket but now the bolts dont want to go back in?? They get stuck and i dont want to cross thread (if i havent already) or strip the bolts. Ideas, answers and solutions much appreciated!
Are you making sure that your exhaust manifold and new gasket is lined up correctly with the holes? This could prevent your bolts from threading easily.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pabbi's SS01
1. Do they thread in the the head fine when manifolds arn't there?
2. Do they get "stuck" trying to thread the bolt or a quarter of the way in or half way in?
3. Do all of them get stuck or just a few?
4. Flange facing the right way? Flange facing up right? are the bolts overly rusty?

Just asking the simple questions to get them out of the way.

Really it's just the angle most the time i have two header bolts the take me forever the thread correctly. Try getting someone to hold the manifold in place while you try.

Other then that try buying new clean bolts at the dealer.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:09 PM

Yeah I cross threaded so I re-threaded and it went in. AFTER taking the cat off cuz it was weighing it down and affecting the bolt angle.